Chapter 22 Clean up in Isle One

Jj POV

     I handed Jazzie off to Andy as I walked quickly to the bathroom. I turned on the water and splashed it on my heated face and hurting eyes. I swallowed some of the water parched and let some water slip down my back. I looked into the mirror and saw a completely different person than I saw two weeks ago before my husband died. My hair was a mess and my face and neck were blotchy from all of the crying I had been doing. I quickly used the restroom washed my hands put my hair into a bun and headed back out.

     I came to the kitchen and I smiled as I watched Andy with his face squished in between Jazzie's hands. I watched a wide smile spread across Jazzie's face as she told Andy that she liked him and my heart stopped. She hadn't smiled like that sense her dad died. Andy eventually looked up and saw me watching them. He smiled at me as he set her down and she ran into the living room. Eventually we heard Sponge-Bob blasting from the living room meaning she helped herself to the TV.

     "How did you do that? She hasn't smiled sense before her dad died," he didn't seem to know what he had done.

     He shrugged, "I don't know."

     " Well whatever it is, keep it up. all I want is to see my baby happy," I walked into the living room and sat next to Jazzie.

     Jazzie curled into my side as she stuck her thumb into her mouth and I put my arm around her pulling her closer. I could feel Andy studying us but I didn't look up. I didn't want to embarrass him that I had caught him staring at us.

     "So is anyone hungry?"

     I finally look up at Andy with a raised eye brow, "You know how to cook now?"

     He shuffled awkwardly, "Not really, but I know how to use a microwave."

     I looked at the pitiful look on his face and just broke into laughter. No one had acted so....normal around me sense my husbands passing that this small thing of him being funny was just even more hilarious to me. Jazzie and Andy though were looking at me like I had grown three heads and was speaking a different language out of every head. Eventually my laughter subsided and I looked at my confused daughter and a worried looking Andy. I brushed the hair out of Jazzie's face to reassure her and looked at Andy to let him know I was okay and hadn't cracked under the pressure of my husbands death.

     I stood up suddenly and rubbed my cold arms for warmth, "So lets make something for lunch!"

     Jazzie jumped up, "Oh can I help Mommy?!"

     "Of course sweet pea, lets go see what we can find."

     About twenty minutes later we sat down with tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, and crackers. I did my best to control my emotions as it brought me back to the first Halloween Jason and i had spent together. It was a good lunch but we had that mostly because there wasn't much of anything else in the house for us to eat. I laughed as I watched Andy eat like he hadn't had anything even remotely home made sense I had left, and that was probably the truth. The boys don't cook and neither did Sam.

     I smiled as I watched Jazzie take a big bite of her sandwich, "So who wants to go grocery shopping after we clean up from lunch?"

     Jazzie's eyes lit up as she mumbled in agreement around her mouth full of food. Andy nodded as well considering his mouth was full as well. We finished eating and washed up our dished before grabbing our shoes and jackets to leave. We took Andy's car after Jazzie begged him to take us in his car. We all climbed in silently. The ride there was quiet but comfortable. We arrived quickly and I held Jazzie's hand as we walked into the building together.

     She ran away suddenly and I smiled as I saw the small carts for children, "Can I use one Mommy? Please please please?"

     "Sure baby." Andy and I grabbed a cart and fell behind her watching her run around happily with her little cart putting random stuff in it.

     I looked away as Andy started to speak, but looked back as I heard a crash and saw Jazzie on the floor and her cart sideways with all the things she grabbed all over the isle. She was sitting back up and crying with a big red spot on her cheek where she must have smacked it off the floor. I rushed over to her but Andy was faster and was already lifting her into his arms.

     I heard his low voice, "Are you okay princess?"

     I rubbed her back as she cuddled into him breathing deeply like she was having a hard time controlling her breathing. I pulled out her inhaler shook it quickly and held it to her mouth. She shook her head and turned away like she always did. We found out at 6 months old that she had asthma. When she was a baby she had to have nightly treatments from a machine that turned her medication into smoke, but as she got older and her lungs got stronger she only needed and inhaler for when it got really bad. This was one of those times. When I finally told her that her dad wasn't going to be coming home and that he was in heaven she went into a asthma attack and she was in the hospital for three days. She didn't get out until the day of the funeral. She almost went into another one but I caught it soon enough and made her take her inhaler.

     "Baby it will make you feel better. Please use it." She shook her head again and I gave Andy a pleading look.

     He sigh and took the inhaler from me holding it to Jazzie's lips. She pressed her lips tightly together. He whispered softly into her ear. My mouth dropped open in shock as she immediately took it in her mouth and breathed in from her inhaler. Her breathing eventually evened out as she fell asleep against his shoulder.

     "Okay Andy you really need to teach me how to do that," he just smiled as he continued to walk beside me holding her as she slept and me picking out groceries that we needed.

      His voice broke threw the silence, "How long has she had asthma?"

     I looked at him for a second before looking away and responded, "The doctors said she probably had it at birth but it didn't get serious until she was 6 months old and I found her in her crib and she was barley breathing. We rushed her to the hospital where the doctors told us she had asthma. She was born 2 months early so the doctors think that she just had weak lungs. she was on nebulizer treatments until she was old enough that she understood how to use an inhaler and her lungs were strong enough not to need the treatments every night. When she knew Daddy went to heaven she had an asthma attack and was in the hospital for three days right up until the funeral and it almost happened again at the funeral when she saw her dads casket being lowered into the ground."

     He nodded his head, "Is she healthy otherwise?"

     "Oh she is very healthy. She is just like any other 4 year old. If she didn't have these episodes you probably would even have been able to tell she was such a sick child at one time. You know Andy.... I'm glad she likes you. After her dad passing she needs a male figure in her life that she trusts."

     He just smiled and we continued the rest of our trip in comfortable silence. We checked out and went out into the car where Andy put a still sleeping Jazzie into her car seat. Her head nodded to the side as she snored softly. I pushed her hair our of her face and kissed her forehead before going to the trunk to help Andy put the grocery's in. We both went to grab the last bag and our hands touched, and I felt the same spark I felt all those years ago. I then looked up finding that he was looking at me too and I was lost in a sea of blue. All those years ago he had been my savior and here he was again saving me.

     I was eventually brought back to reality and I felt my cheeks heat up as I looked away, "We should get going."

      I looked back up to seeing his Adams apple bob up and down as he swallowed nervously and nodded. I cant believe I'm feeling these things. My husband isn't even cold in his grave yet and I'm panting after Andy like a dog in heat. I couldn't be doing this right now, but Jordan would want me happy. Wouldn't he?