Chapter Eighteen: warmth

Xyra's viewpoint

   I yawned and stretched as I walked into the living room, hands bent back behind my head. I stopped stretching when I saw my mate sitting on the floor with legs folded and a cute distress expression on his face.

   Why was he distress? My sisters surrounded him with their best friends. Lula and her best friend, Pansy, were behind him, braiding his hair into cornrows. Zira and her best friend, Simone, were changing his nails to pink and purple while Isla's best friend, Tangerine, or something like that, was carving his brows. They were all bombarding him with questions while Isla recorded and typed it down.

   "Okay, so you killed your first manticore at fifteen?"

   "Sixteen," he corrected. Isla typed it down while they squealed.

   "Your Majesty, you are so cool,"

   "Yeah. I haven't even killed a wolf yet," Zira gushed in awe.

   "Wolf is too far off," Simone said, "I haven't knowingly killed an ant. I faint anytime a cockroach is killed in my presence."

   Lula pulled her face over his, "were you scared?"

   "No,"

   "Did you feel bad?"

   "Not really,"

   "Lula, put your head back, I'm trying to carve his brows," Tangerine huffed with annoyance.

   "Sorry,"

   "How do you feel being a thousand years old?" Isla's questioned. My mate turned his eyes to me, pleading once more that I help him. I shrugged and went to the kitchen. I took a bottle of cold water and strolled back to the living room.

   "Did you ever feel lonely all these years?" Isla asked again. He glanced at me, I still wasn't going to help.

   "Yes, it did feel lonely at some point, but I still didn't want a woman by my side," I sat down and crossed my legs to entertain myself with his uncomfortableness. "Especially an erasthasis," he glared my way. The girls looked at me briefly.

   "Is that why you rejected Xyra Cresent at first?" Isla questioned professionally, not even blinking to show any sign of emotion.

   "Yes, but I cannot continue to defile the goddess to whom I serve," he murmured.

   "Rumor has it that you almost ran mad, is it true?" I sat up straight, I didn't know that. He looked at me, his eyes telling me that he faced worse.

   "Yes, it's true. My lycan didn't take it well," I rolled my eyes away and bit my lower lip. Not of guilt, but to hold back the urge to laugh at his face. He thought he was the big bad lycan king that could escape anything. Too bad the goddess taught him a lesson.

   "Do you have any problem with your given erasthasis' age?"

   "How did you convince me to answer this again," he sighed tiredly. She pouted. She used her irresistible pout with the help of the girls surrounding him. "Fine, yes and no,"

   "Why yes and no?"

   "Yes because she thinks like her age, and no because it really doesn't matter. Okay, I thought she thinks like her agemates, but I know you know how well your sister thinks."

Smart, really smart.

   He didn't want to publicly call me stupid, so he twisted it with a lie. "Have you dated anyone in the past before?"