Chapter Nine: an unusual scent

Carswell' viewpoint

   Rolling my eyes at the elders going over why I should throw this party for the sixty seventh time, I folded my arms and leaned back on my chair. Of course I knew they were only trying to look out for me, they were acting like my grandfathers but I really didn't mind… Before, I didn't mind before. Now I did. My beast was equally as bored of the conversation as I was.

   It's nice of them to want me to find someone to spend the rest of my life with or at least produce an heir, but they need to remember that I'm old already and it doesn't matter. Okay, not that old. But I ruled better because I didn't have any weak side to me, no weakness or someone who my enemies would try to use against me. I was honestly better on my own, but they didn't think so. I needed an heir, the first important thing to them. I needed a companion, one to keep me balance, the second important thing. They all forgot that only an erasthasis can truly balance their other half as well as destroy it. Sure, falling in love will help, but it wasn't like meeting your soulmate.

   I didn't want it. I didn't want a mate because she could ruin what I've built for nearly… No, seven hundred years. And I didn't want a woman to just bear me children like my father did to my mother. I didn't want their marriage or how their lives ended up.

   Unfortunately, my beast and I were the only one who agreed to that decision. Really unfortunate. My first birthday since I became king. That was something I wasn't looking forward to.

   "I know it's going to be hard to stay at a party when you can be focusing on other things, but this is necessary. Please, just do this for us, just six hours and you can leave." Francis, my father's best friend and the man who have helped me through my early reign, a second and better father to me.

   "I've agreed already, this meeting is pointless," I sighed.

   "Wells, I know you, very well. You will disappear ten minutes after the party begins. Just promise you will at least last six hours?"

   "Three,"

   "That's too small," another shouted.

   "Three is the least I can manage. I have issues to deal with. Can I go now? I need to do something important." Yeah, not be here with all of you.

   "Thank you, Your Majesty," they chorused.

   "Don't thank him yet," Francis said under his breath.

   "Who knows, maybe he will find his mate," I snorted at that idea, that was worse.

   "Wells, we have a list of worthy females to try, you know, for queen?" Francis said unsurely. I sighed and waved my hand for him to continue. "There are twenty six worthy girls…"

   "Twenty six!" I exclaimed. "So I'm suppose to go around talking to…"

   "If you'll let me finish," she interjected. The only fucking man who had the guts to interrupt me and get away with it, "but knowing how you are, I reduced them to six. The most important and worthy ones are three; Clarabelle Calder, daughter of…"

   "I know the bitch, my ex. You want me to go back to my ex?"

   "I wouldn't say you two ever dated, if letting off steam counts as dating then sure. Anyways, the second is Viona Rave and the last is a werewolf, not a lycan," I gave him a blank expression, "Alpha Derrick's first daughter, alpha female."

   "Hmm," I scrunched my nose thoughtfully. The last time I checked, she had a mate. "I thought she died?"

   "Turns out she didn't mate with him, rejected him for being an asshole. We don't exactly know where she has been since, but we do know that she is a strong one, that's what the informant says. She's worthy because she has royal training, my informant says so. So she will make a good queen."