Their Last Night

The doors slide open where I see a bunch of training weapons hanging on the wall. Glancing to my father I raised a brow not understanding why we are in the training area of the tributes. "Why are we here, dad. We shouldn't be down here." He tips his head back drinking from a beer bottle before sitting it down. He walked forward picking up a small knife spinning it between his fingers easily. "We are here so I can teach you some things." He stepped up raising his arm back launching the blade forward where it ended up in the middle chest part of the target that was shaped as a person. My mouth hangs open a little. There was one thing for certain that dad never talked about and it was winning the games. Blinking my eyes a couple times he looked over his shoulder, picking up another knife in his right hand. "Come on, let's see what you can do."

"Dad, this isn't okay. We could get in trouble." I throw my hands down at my side. He stepped behind me pushing me forward a little, resting my right hand around the blade handle. "Draw your arm back, then launch it forward as far as you can." He instructed as we locked eyes. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath then let it go as I threw the knife. It sticks in the target right in the area he did but completely off to the side. "Darn it!" I cursed, crossing my arms over my chest, scowling. "Hey now that's not bad for your first try." Dad pats me on the back with a smile. I brush my fingers over one of the other blades on the table not looking him in the eye. "This is the weapon you killed with in the arena isn't it?" Dad picked up his drink chugging it down quickly which meant it was a subject he felt that the only solution was alcohol. "Let's get back to training. Because the rest of our evening won't be fun, especially for our tributes."

Maya's POV - Night before the Reaping
"Maya, we shouldn't be outside." Haymitch mumbled as I drug him up onto the roof of my parents place. I had invited him over for dinner. Once we're on the roof I hug my knees to my chest, looping my arm through his. Pointing my index finger up towards the night sky. "See them Hay. Aren't they beautiful." He glanced up at the stars then turning my face towards him. "I'm already looking at something beautiful." I blushed pushing away from him hearing him chuckle. Wrapping his arms around my waist pulling me to lay on his chest. "I'm scared for tomorrow-" I cut him off staring up into his blue eyes with a pouting face. "What did we agree on about being scared?" He throws his head back brushing hair from my face. "This is serious, my love. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you-" Whipping my head up I felt happy tears falling down my cheeks.

Resting my right hand to his face I smiled up at him. "You love me, Haymitch Abernathy?" He blushes avoiding my gaze for a minute before giving in. He cups my face smashing his lips over mine. I kissed back climbing into his lap kissing back. Our lips quickly moved together with our hearts beating. My fingers tangled themselves in his blonde hair, twisting it into a mess hearing him moan against my lips. Haymitch breaks the kiss whispering under his breath. "Maya, I-" I rest a finger to his lips deeply staring back into his eyes. "I love you too. Now let's make the most of this night before the fight." We climbed down back inside running up to my room locking the door. He hovers above me his blonde hair falling in my eyes. Wrapping my arms around his neck I pulled him down to kiss me again. Haymitch kissed her with everything he felt that night. "I'll love you until the day I die, Maya Flower." Haymitch mumbled with a grin. She just didn't know that would be there last happy evening together in the others arms.

Y/n's POV
Celestia insisted we spend the day together so she could show me her favorite spot in the Capital. I decided to wear a dark green dress to make the Capital people like me. Dad said it was better to hide my cover if I played the part. And so I have been nicknamed the "Capital Princess". We climbed up some stairs not bothering with the elevator because she said it would take away the adventure. Pulling myself up I grunted seeing we're standing in the largest window of the Capital building. I gasped seeing the sky decorated like the sunrise Gale showed me long ago. Resting my hands over my mouth I suddenly started crying at the thought of him. His possible last words were "I love you" and I might not get to tell him. "Y/n, are you alright. You're crying?" Whipping my head down to the young girl I see Prim flash through my mind. "Celestia, I - I'm sorry - can we go back downstairs.." She nodded grabbing my hand leading me downstairs. We entered the main office seeing its empty. Except for a computer screen on with a woman's picture pulled up. I slowly stride up recognizing the (H/c) from across the room so I touch the mouse moving the file.

"Y/n, what is that. Who is she, she's pretty?" Celestia comes over eyeing the picture. Clicking on another open file it flashed blood results in my face. Scanning over the results I see my father's name and then mine right below it. "No, no, no, this can't - this can't be happening.." I stuttered feeling my chest tightening where I clutch my heart. Why did I think he wouldn't find out. Why did I think we could hide this while I'm in the spotlight. "Y/n, Y/n, who is she?" Celestia tugged at my dress as I released some tears again. "She's my moth-" I cut myself off hearing the door open so I jumped back quickly putting the screen back how it was. President Snow brushes his hands down his dark blue suit smiling when his granddaughter ran to him. He embraced her with a big hug smiling while staring up at me. "Are you ready for the games tomorrow, Ms. L/n?" I straighten my back hearing him not use my real last name, as I put on a fake smile I hope is convincing. "Yes, President. I should go. Big day tomorrow." I ducked out the door running down the hallways as fast as I can. Slamming the door to our rooms open and closed I sucked in a labored breath.

"Sweetheart, I heard you come in. What's wrong?" My father rushed down the stairs in a white tea shirt and black pants. His blue eyes locked onto mine seeing my knuckles almost turning white from gripping the door handles. "Sn - Snow he - he - I can't!" I start sobbing when he stepped forward. I collapse into his arms sliding down onto the floor. My fingers clutching his shirt. "Y/n, what's wrong. You have to tell me what's wrong." He spoke into my hair searching for injuries like if I was stabbed or bleeding somewhere. "He saw our blood results - he had a picture of mom pulled up - he knows - daddy I don't want to die!" I stained his shirt with my tears feeling him go tense. Never in his whole life of raising me had he heard me so weak, so afraid to the point of calling him daddy like I was five years old again. "Sweetheart, ssshh it's okay. We're gonna be just - I'm here. I'm right here. Daddy's here." Haymitch tried to tell you you'd be fine. But that would be a lie because he didn't know that for sure. So you both just sat on the floor clutching one another in tears.

Let the games begin

Comments really appreciated :)