Chapter 25: Split-Second Decisions

5 days later:

It was that day. Phil was going to meet Tommy's Social Worker. Just 30 minutes left and Phil couldn't lie, he was nervous...well, more than nervous. A mixture of fear and nervousness.

A small cafe 50 minutes into the city was where Miss Puffy had made as their meet-up place.

While he was gone, Techno and Wilbur planned to go with Tommy to get picked up by Schlatt and they would take a trip to the grocery store to refill the cabinets. All and all, it would be a huge time saver for Phil who wouldn't have to take 2 trips to town but, that didn't matter. What mattered was if Tommy was actually up to it.

Lately, he's been getting much better at saying no when he didn't want to do something. Slowly but surely he would be able to without feeling selfish or guilty which is what Phil was striving for.

It meant if he didn't want to go, he would have told Phil or Techno and Wilbur that he would be uncomfortable but, he didn't. Sure he wavered a little, but he didn't say no. So why was Phil filled with anxiety when the shopping visit came?

Leaving, he couldn't go without telling his kids to be safe and to call him if anything were to happen before going for the garage door.

Of course, he couldn't leave without his 2 sons stopping him at the door, their hands grasping his sleeves.

They were both staring with anxious eyes. Techno was the one holding a much tighter grasp than Wilbur but they both clung on tightly either way.

"Boys?" Phil asked carefully.

The 2 boys looked at one another, nodding their heads from a mutual agreement that seemed telepathic to each other before Wilbur spoke up. "Promise you won't make any important decisions without us? I want to be there when the time comes". Techno nudged the boy, getting a joking snicker out of his brother. "We want to be there when the time comes".

Phil could only smile, quickly bending down and wrapping them in the biggest hug he could give. "I promise, I won't make any big decisions without you guys alright? We'll do that as a family, together".

Tommy came running from down the stairs, his shoes on and his favorite red hoodie sprawled messily over his white shirt. The blonde boy completely froze when his eyes gazed at Phil who, upon seeing him, straight up hugged the boy. "P-Phil? You okay big man?" He said utterly confused, slowly indulging by embracing the man back.

Not long after, he was pulled away slowly until Phil's eyes were right in front of his.

"Tommy, You sure you're okay with staying with Techno, Wilbur, and Schlatt while I'm gone?"

Tommy shook his head. "Yeah, I'll be okay".

"And you're positive you want to go to the store with them?"

Tommy flinched, instantly looking away, contemplating as his eyes wandered to the floor before he mumbled out slightly. "I mean...I-I think, I want to try. I want to go with Wil and Tech and Schlatt. I want to get better at this".

Now that Phil's thought about it, Tommy's grown so much from when he first arrived at the house. He's eating more, he's smiling most of the time now, and he laughs and bickers like a kid his age. He's been getting so much more happier and it makes Phil's eyes water in that second of realization.

Tears easily slipped out slightly as he brought the kid into his embrace yet again who, in the end, hugged back softly. "You've been so brave Tommy. I'm so proud of you. We all are".