Chapter 39

- Uncovered wounds -

Jennifer has been ignoring Ace for several days now, but this has not improved the situation as much as she had hoped. She doesn't miss the boy's presence at all but she can't deny that his deficiency actually made her forget about Destiny, even if only momentarily. The queen mulled over what to do for a long time and finally decided that she will reveal everything to Zoe, she doesn't know where this will take her but she absolutely intends to declare her feelings to the wolf as soon as possible, even if it would lead her to ruin her friendship with Zoe she doesn't want to let Destiny go for any reason in the world.

———

"Jennifer what are you doing here?"
When Zoe opens the door she is confronted by her friend who showed up unannounced

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah sure"
The queen positions herself by the door letting the unexpected guest in.

Zoe invites the blonde to go to her room sensing that she has something to tell her

"So, you have something to tell me right? It's written all over your face haha"

"Insightful as ever huh?"

"what is it?"

The queen takes a slight breath preparing to say the words

"I'm in love with Destiny"
She pronounces the sentence with absolute calmness and decision looking Zoe straight in the eyes

"W- What?"

"you heard me right. I have been since the first moment I saw her"
The queen doesn't take her eyes off her friend's

"wait I thought you liked Ace"
Zoe says more confused than ever

"I told you because I had to hide the fact that I actually wanted to get over her"

"but... Wait I don't understand, how did you fall in love with her? You never even spoke to each other. Except for that one time at the theatre, but I don't think that counts"

"Actually, after we first met, we saw each other again in the decadent part"

"What?"

"We spent the day together and at the end... We kissed"

"R... Rea- really?"
Zoe's voice becomes more and more fragmented

"that time she got into a fight with Ace we decided not to see each other anymore, but then we found each other that time at the theatre and we weren't just making up random phrases"
The queen continues to speak with absolute calm and composure, almost blood-curdling

"Do you remember when you said that these meetings were dictated by fate? Well, I thought the exact same thing"
She finished her sentence without ever taking her eyes off Zoe

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier but I didn't think my feelings would get this strong"

"I don't... I don't know what to say"

"You don't have to say anything, I just wanted to let you know"

"then why did you encourage me to come out!?"
Zoe asks frustrated

"because I thought it would be better that way. But then I thought better for who? For you of course but not for me"
Jennifer responds with obviousness and remains incredibly apathetic

"so what are you going to do now? I came out like you said and she reciprocated, we're together"

"Did she tell you she loves you?"

"no... Why?"

"Because maybe she's doing the same thing I did with Ace. Haven't you thought about that?"
Jennifer emphasizes the last sentence well, causing the slightest doubt to arise in Zoe's mind

"Are you saying that she agreed to be my girlfriend just to forget you?"

"Could be, she really cared about me... You know she did everything she could to make sure I wouldn't leave her"
Jennifer's gaze penetrates Zoe's like a sharp blade, the queen's dark side is taking over, she'll do anything to get what she wants like she always has and now she's really going to steal her best friend's happiness by taking away what's most dear to her.

"It can't be... I mean Destiny would never do something like this, if she wasn't interested she would have told me straight up"
The insecurity is easily recognizable in the words of the little queen whose hands shake slightly

"Anyway, you asked me what I was going to do, didn't you?"
The queen asks rhetorically, getting up from her seat

"yes..."

"girlfriends or not, I am going to let Destiny know my feelings, it will just be up to her to decide who to choose between the two of us"

"how can you be so sure that she will choose you?"
Zoe asks scared at the thought of the wolf leaving her

"Because I'm the queen"
Jennifer asserts with superiority looking down on Zoe as she is still sitting.

The blonde leaves the room leaving a frightened and hurt Zoe behind, with an icy look in her eyes, she still doesn't know when she will actually declare herself to the wolf but she wanted to make sure her dear friend was aware of her intentions so that once the verdict is reached she can't hold anything against her. The queen, however, has not yet realised that what she is feeling is no longer simple and pure love, but a real desire for possession.