Chapter 40. Trumpets

Discord: discord.gg/krr2hTX9PD

+

+

+

King POV:

"My king, we have a serious problem!"

One of the guards ran into the place, barely breathing.

The king looked up from the book he was reading and asked.

"What happened?"

"T-The kayeri! They are taking uninfected people now and have sealed all entrances to their tunnels!"

"...We did expect them to reveal some way or other. Protect the rest of the population and imprison any kayeri which are still on the surface."

The king breathed in the air and started to think.

This is not a coincidence; the tournament will be held shortly. Phil must be planning something, to now openly attack the people of this city. What is his end game? Is he trying to make an army that can rival mine? No, civilians aren't good soldiers, no matter what he does to them. I need to keep my guards up and be prepared for anything. I will have to increase the number of guards around the most important parts of the castle.

"What about those who were taken?"

"The place where they live is filled with poisonous spores. Nothing can survive down there."

"B-But my family...

"Are probably turned into hideous monsters by now. Don't worry, I am planning to make them pay when this tournament starts."

As the king finished speaking, in the distance the sound of a trumpet could be heard.

"What the hell was that?!"

"Calm down."

The king stood up and looked at the gate doors.

"They are arriving."

*****

"

There is a house in New Orleans

They call the Rising Sun

And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy

And God, I know I'm one.

"

As I was singing, I made a slow spin, changing some of my equipment, while using the one in my other hand.

Even if this body didn't work on the dissection of the royalties, I could still use it on the dissection of other species, like this giant centipede, caught by the ants and given to me for a barrel of the good stuff.

The insect was so big I needed three tables so that its body wouldn't be on the ground.

Its carapace was sky blue, with skies running through it, making it quite hard to attack it.

Its stomach however had only a thin layer of armor, making it easy for me to open things up.

"

My mother was a tailor

She sewed my new blue jeans

My father was a gamblin' man

Down in New Orleans

"

I cut through the stuff carapace and examined the green flesh underneath it.

"