Chapter 29

"Woah woah woah....You're telling me that you have been around since the late 1600's? Wow you really must be a witch," Stark laughed.

Shadow rolled her eyes and sat up further in her bed. The ache wasn't so bad anymore and she wanted to stand. Loki helped her up, wrapping his arm around her waist. Shadow blushed deeply at the intimate contact.

"Loki would you please go get me some clothes from my room?"

Loki nodded, double checking she was alright before he disappeared in search for clothes.

"Could we go to the living room and talk about this? I would like to get out of this room." Shadow asked politely, walking slowly towards the main common area. The rest of the team stood and followed her, taking seats at the couches and chairs around her.

Shadows movements were still slow and she was a bit tense as she made her way to the couch in the center. Thor walked faster to be by her side, holding out his arm for her to take to steady herself. She silently thanked Thor as he helped her sit slowly down on the couch. He sat protectively on one side of her. Steve went to sit on her other side, but Thor shot him a glare to communicate that Loki would have that spot. Steve reluctantly scooted over, making room for the other god.

Loki came back into the room quickly holding some folded garments, rushing to sit by Shadow. He noticed Thor was sitting protectively next to her and there was room left on the couch next to his mate. Loki scoffed knowing his oaf of a brother was taking on a brotherly role with Shadow.

"Let me go put these on and I will join you to continue this conversation." Shadow started to push herself up wincing at the slight discomfort, but Loki stopped her.

"I'll do it." Loki spoke softly. He moved his hand in Shadows direction and as everyone blinked, Shadow was now in the clothes Loki had given her. She looked down and saw that she was wearing a baggy green sweater and some sweats. The size of the clothes were bigger than her own. Shadow could smell the familiar minty, woodsy vanilla scent comforting her.

Shadow blushed realizes she was wearing Loki's clothes. She looked down to hide her blush and leaned into Loki's side. Loki caught the rosy blush that appeared on Shadows cheeks. He smirked liking the open display of showing the others that she was his mate. He was starting to like showing these aspects off with pride. Loki slung his arm around Shadows shoulder, pulling her closer to him as he enjoyed her warmth on his colder skin.

"Well, since the lovebirds are comfortable lets continue this..." Clint said uncomfortably.

"Since you have been 23 since 1705, that means you were born in...1682?" Banner said calculating the differences.

Shadow nodded. "My very first memories of childhood begin then yes, but I have no knowledge of my actual birthdate or place of birth."

The team looked at her confused.

"You don't know your birthday?" Steve asks.

"No. The only thing I do remember is that I was discovered at the doorstep of a cottage one night. The people who lived there took me in. They searched for anyone around for miles, searching for anyone who could have left me, but they only found me." Shadow stared blankly at the coffee table in between the group, thinking of how she was found.

"Is that why there is no record of you in the system?" Fury continues. Shadows eyes meet his one good eye quickly.

"I'm not really sure. I always have flashbacks that I was living in the time of the Salem witches. I remember being kicked out of my house."

"Why would they kick you out?" Banner looked at Shadow with sad eyes.

    "I was kicked out because of my powers. Right around the time when I turned 16." Shadow started nervously playing with her fingers in her lap. Loki listened carefully to her story, rubbing his thumb on her shoulder to comfort her.