Chapter 38

Frigga stands in the middle of Loki's cell, trying to find the right words to tell her son that she is going to set him free. Loki paces around the cell, angry, irritated, and lost.

    "Odin continues to bring me new friends. How thoughtful..." His voice was calm but he was boiling with anger and sadness.

    "The books I sent, do they not interest you?" Frigga's concerned voice was something Loki enjoyed every time she visited, but he wished for his freedom.

    "Is that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?"

    Frigga gave Loki a kind smile. "I've done everything in my power to make you comfortable, Loki."

    Loki narrowed his eyes at her, "Have you? Does Odin share your concern? Does Thor? It must be so inconvenient, them asking after me day and night."

    "Odin may not ask out of pride but Thor and Shadow do." Frigga stared coldly at Loki, like a mother does with her child when scolding.

    Loki flinched at those words. His brother and his soulmate couldn't care. How does his mother even know of his soulmate. "Do not speak of her."

    "Loki...I am only here to help you. Your father may not see the truth, but she does."

    Loki was getting angry. "He's not my father!" He shouts back at Frigga, causing the Queen's eyes to tear up a bit.

    "Then am I not your mother?"

    Loki looked sadly at the woman in front of him. He knew what she meant, but he felt he should answer the question truthfully. "You're not."

    Frigga gives a smile but it doesn't reach her eyes, then chuckles at her pained son. "You're always so perceptive about everyone but yourself. I plan to get you out of this cell. Your soulmate is here helping me. Do not forget about the ones who truly love you."

    Loki feeling horrible about what he had said, stepped forward to take his mothers hand. When he reached it, he expected to feel the smooth contact of her skin, but was met with another illusion as she faded away. He couldn't stop thinking about her words. His heart was hurting. For the hateful things he had said but he wondered why his mate was here of all places. His mother said she had asked for him, yet he hadn't seen her. Maybe he would soon, hopefully then he could apologize to his mother.

    Shadow and Clara stood a few feet back from Jane and Thor. They talked amongst themselves as Shadow listened in on their chatter. Clara stood waiting for the Queen.

    Jane: When you came for me, you knew I was in trouble.

    Thor: Heimdall had lost sight of you. You were no longer on Earth.

    Jane: How is that possible?

    Shadow watched as the couple stopped to lean against a railing by some water. Shadow used her hearing to keep listening to their conversation, using this to keep her mind off of her own worry.

    Thor: I believe you were and you weren't. The Nine Realms travel within Yggdrasil, orbiting Midgard much the way your planets orbit the sun. And every 5,000 years, the worlds align perfectly. We call this the Convergence. During this time, the borders between worlds become blurred. It's possible you found one of these points. We are lucky that it remained open. Once the world pass out of alignment...then the connection is lost.

    "Care to tell a nosey mother about what he is saying?"

    Shadow jumped as the Queen's voice suddenly came from next to her. Her breathing slowed down once she got a bearing on where she was. "Ohh uhh..sorry...I wasn't listening to them."