Forty Six

Demi

@ddlovato
Thank y'all for a NUMBER 1!! So grateful 🥹 If you haven't already, please go and buy my new single ❤️

The moment Odell's eyes fluttered open, a rush of relief washed through me. His beautiful eyes met mine and then his lips twitched at the corners.

"Hi" I bit down on my lip, my chin quivered as tears rushed to fill my eyes. It's been a week since I heard his voice.

"Hi" I lightly caressed his cheek. "I missed you" he puckered his lips and I smiled as I leant to kiss him.

"C-Can I..." his voice sounded scratchy.

"You want a drink?" he gave me a light nod. "Let me see if you can" I pressed the nurse call button. Carrie, his nurse, appeared only a moment later with a wide smile.

"Odell, it's good to see you awake. How do you feel?"

"Rough" his voice broke my heart a little.

"Let's get you sat up and we can get you some water" Odell flashed me a smile as I gave his hand a squeeze. "Tell me to stop if it hurts at all" she grabbed the bed control and began to lift the head of the bed up. Odell's grip was tight on my hand but his face never showed his obvious pain. Carrie stopped moving the bed when Odell was sitting at more of an angle. I poured a glass of water and then held it up to him.

"Fuck" he grumbled after he'd swallowed.

"Your throat may feel a little scratchy for a couple days, Odell. It's just from the tube we used to intubate you" he nodded, beginning to caress the back of my hand with his thumb. "Do you have any pain at the moment, Odell?" he shook his head but I gave his hand a squeeze. He released a light breath as his eyes met mine and I raised my eyebrows.

"I-I have a bit-bit of pain in my ribs and-and back."

"Do you feel you need any pain relief?"

"No, I-I'm okay" she nodded, flashing me a smile.

"Let me know if you need anything. A doctor will be in to see you soon, Odell" we thanked her as she left. A silence then settled around us as I continued to play with Odell's fingers.

"I'm sorry for making you go out to get peanut butter" I glanced up at him as he released a strained sort of laugh.

"It ain't your fault, Dem" his eyes met mine. "You wanted peanut butter. I'm your husband and one of the reasons you're in this position. Don't-Don't stress about it, Baby."

"You could have died, O" he gave my hand a squeeze. I sniffled and wiped my cheeks. "Did-Did you fall asleep?"

"Something ran out into the road. I-I swerved to miss it and hit the tree" I caressed the back of his hand with my thumb. "I love you" my lips twitched into a smile as I nodded.

"I love you too" a group of doctors came to see Odell a little while later and then I convinced him to get some more rest. Whilst he was asleep, I headed out to ring Heather who instantly said that she was on her way. Odell slept for a while so I headed to the canteen to grab myself a little something to eat. It was as I walked back to the ICU that I felt a twinge in my back. I hunched slightly forward as it took my breath away. "Ow Baby" I leant my hand against the wall as I rubbed my lower back. The pain went almost as quickly as it came so I brushed it off and continued towards the ICU. Heather was sat in the room with Odell and I smiled as I took a seat beside her. It suddenly hit once the previous pain returned that I might be in labour. Tears lined my eyes at the thought as I watched Odell speak with Heather. He won't be there. I tried to keep my whimpers of pain quiet as I didn't really want to alert Heather and Odell but the intense tightening of my stomach made me release a soft cry.

"Baby?"

"Demi, you okay?" I bit down on my lip as I nodded, lightly caressing my stomach. "You're having contractions, aren't you?" tears lined my lower lid as I nodded, choking instantly on a sob. "Aw Honey, don't cry" Heather began to gently rub my back as I gripped onto the arm of the chair.

"They-They started like an hour ago" I glanced up at Odell who had a light smile on his face. "Why you smiling?"

"We're gonna meet our baby boy, Dem."

"But-But you won't be there. You can't-can't..." I nuzzled my face into my hand and whimpered at the tightening in my stomach. "He's early" I choked on a sob. "He's gonna need-need surgery. He-He's too little" Heather continued to rub my back, it helped slightly to ease my back ache.

"Baby?" I glanced up at Odell as he managed to run his fingers through my hair. "You gotta get checked out, Angel."

"I-I don't wanna do this without you. I can't."

"Yes, you can. Mom can FaceTime me. Axel's the priority right now, Baby" I released a breath as the contraction eased.

"I'm scared for him" I lightly caressed my stomach. Odell nodded as he flashed me a very light smile.

"He's a fighter, just like his Mama, D" I bit down on my lip. "Please go and get checked out, Angel. I'll be fine here without you. He's more important than me, Demi" my heart's torn but I know that I have to choose Axel. I nodded, leaning over to kiss Odell. "I love you both" his hand settled on my bump. I slid my hand along his as I choked on a sob.

"I love you more. I'm sorry."

"Stop" I lightly caressed his jaw. "Go and check on Axel" I eventually pulled myself away from him and Heather followed me out of the room. I took one last glance at Odell. This isn't how I planned to have our baby boy.

——