Prologue

March 2004

"Could you grab the watering can from over there?"

"Here!" I hand it to him.

We're watering the little flower sprouts in my backyard during the loose ends of the approaching spring season.

While he's carefully watering them, I look over to the old tree in the backyard. It's always been there, untouched. I notice a little flower, a sprout rather.

Curious, I say, "Come on, Wakatoshi! Look! There's something up there!"

"What are you talking about, Hana?" He calls.

I run up the little hill. Peeking past the vines scattered down the branches, I scream.

"Wakatoshi, you've got to come and see this!"

"What is it?" He asks curiously.

"Come and see it for yourself."

He puts the watering can down, quickly runs up, and crawls over beside me where I'm sitting. We sit under the ivy, resting our backs on the thick trunk.

There it is.

The most breathtaking view, a short meadow. With flowers and sprouts in every corner and crevice, the refreshing breeze comes along and blows through our hair. Though spring is still on its way, the flowers in the meadow are preparing for a time of joy.

I look at him since he hasn't said a word. His eyes are shining while adoring the view, the wind tossing strands of his hair.

"This is amazing!" He looks over at me. I give him a smile brighter than the stars.

"Isn't it?" I smile back, mesmerized at his glowing, flushed cheeks. I feel submerged in sunlight and joy.

I realize that our school is in sight."Isn't that our school? See the rooftop over there?"

"Which one?"

"Over there, over there!" I point, hoping he would see it.

"Next to the brown roof?"

"Yes!"

After a little moment, I remember the flower that brought me here.

"I came up here to see a little flower. Ah, there it is!" I point to it.

We come up close to the little sprout.

"Which flower do you think it is?" Wakatoshi says.

"Hmm."

We pause, just staring at each other as if an answer will pop up.

"We should check the book you have about flowers!"

"Good idea! We'll find out which kind it is."

He goes and quickly gets the book.

We sit close to it. He begins flipping through the pages about sprouts while I observe it, eyes squinting.

Growing and taking care of flowers while learning about them is what I find most fascinating, it's still my favorite thing to do. So it's no wonder I'm eagerly curious to find out which flower this is to properly take care of it. I would nurture it.

Only for Wakatoshi to find the same sprout as the one in the book. He looks at the book then at the sprout, then at the book again, then at me.

"Hana, I found it!" His lightly freckled face lights up.

"Which flower is it, Wakatoshi?" I ask eagerly.

Beaming, he says,

"A lavender."