03 | Unsubmitted Work

It's finally the end of the school day, but it isn't the end of the week. It's a chilly Tuesday afternoon, I got lucky by missing literature this morning.

Me and Kiyo are thinking of going to a café we like. It's a nice spot to study at. We're leaving the building when I feel my cellphone vibrating in my bag. I unzip the side zipper and open the pocket, slipping my phone out.

I look at the notification expecting a new homework to be assigned, but it's Mother? She doesn't usually send messages. I wonder what's wrong.

I open it.

Hana, I won't be home early tonight. There's leftovers in the fridge.

Kiyo notices my disappointed expression, she figures out what's bothering me so easily.

"Not coming home tonight either?"

"No, but I understand. Work, trips, all that stuff. It's normal anyways. You have to go to the gym now, right? Can I tag along?"

"Oh, come on! When do I say no, Hana? It's always better when you join me," she smiles.

There's a soft breeze. It's cold, January winds are ruthless. It plays with her hair, allowing it to flow beautifully. It glides across her soft red cheeks, cooling them down. She pulls me into a comforting hug.

"How about you sleep over at my house tonight? I don't want you to be alone."

"My one condition is you make me those heavenly cookies."

She nods with assurance. As we head there, I remember I need to submit my literature work since I missed class this morning. I pause and sigh. How did I forget?

"You go ahead. I forgot to submit my work to Mrs. Ito."

"All right. Don't take too long!"

I nod and go back, retracing my footsteps. Pacing, I'm internally praying Mrs. Ito hasn't gone home yet. That woman goes home at the speed of light. I quickly run up the stairs and take a left. The door is open, thank god.

I have to catch my breath in a split second. I make sure my shirt is tucked, my v-neck is clean, my skirt is tidy. I unzip my bag, grabbing my literature papers. I'm opening it as I walk into the classroom.

"Mrs. Ito, I've come to sub-"

"I'm going to assign you a tutor."

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Ito! I'll wait outside," I speak, my voice softer than usual. I put my hands out and apologize for barging in.

"It's no problem, Miss Takahashi. Actually, I'm going to need your help. Mind doing me a favor, dear?"

"Of course, Mrs. Ito. Anything!"

"Would you mind tutoring Ushijima?" She points to him.

I meet soft olive eyes that graze my skin. He studies me. I feel warm, too warm for the weather. Is it my red scarf suddenly bursting with warmth?

He's oddly tall, with a strong build that's intimidating. An upside down triangle, if I'm being honest. His shoulders are broad, clothed in the uniform's purple sweater. Messy brown hair and a stoic look that matches his personality. Cold, sometimes called ruthless, the ace. The captain of the boys' volleyball team, Wakatoshi Ushijima. I see him during practice, a star. There's something about him that's intriguing. I look away.

"If you can help his analytical skills, that will be fantastic. I'd be willing to give you extra credit. I'm sure you wouldn't mind considering you are a top student in literature."

"Of course, Mrs. Ito! It would be my pleasure to help," I insist, grinning.

He looks away. A thin smile is plastered on his face.