Epilogue

"My heart is yours, and that's the promise I made to you secretly that night. A promise I will never break."

"Ms. Takahashi, tell me, what's the best part about publishing your first book, 'Rise, Phoenix?"

"You have such great questions, Emma. Please, call me Hana. Celebrating with my family has been a dream. I'm sharing the joy with my parents, who have grown to become my admirers. Even my friends, who live quite far, have found a way to make me feel so achieved and proud. My best friend especially, Kiyomi Nakamura, who helped me take care of the final touches."

"That's nice. I noticed your book has been receiving interaction from young people, especially girls, all around the world. What do you think of that?"

I'm in Austin, Texas, for an interview. We're in her cute office, a makeshift studio with gold and marble detailing, and there are a bunch of cameras pointed at us.

"Seeing so many young girls reading my book and engaging with each other about it has been surreal. It warms my heart to see them finding comfort in others who share the same burdens. In a way, that's what motivated me to publish it. I want every girl with any struggle, mental or physical, to have a form of reassurance and safety."

Emma nods repeatedly, grinning genuinely.

"I mean it, from the bottom of my heart. To any girl watching this tonight, who found something meaningful along the pages, thank you for giving 'Rise, Phoenix' a chance. You are not alone."

"That is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that message. Everyone is dying to know, what are you up to now as a new star?"

"I'll be flying to New York for another book signing next week. I am unbelievably excited. My team and I are arranging an event alongside another author. I can't disclose the details yet, but things will be announced soon. At the moment, I'm sad to leave Austin. It's been quite the adventure. The last convention was a blast and I find the culture here versatile. Wakatoshi and I have taken a particular liking to the food here. The barbecue? Chef's kiss." I imitate the infamous gesture, awaiting her next question.

"I agree! Our barbecue is top-notch. What is it like balancing your life as an author and as a fiancé? Any update on your wedding?"

"Our wedding will definitely be private, as we both value the intimacy of moments like these. But, for now, we're taking things slow. Life as a new author has been a breeze, thanks to Wakatoshi. It was difficult at first, with the constant traveling between our home in Tokyo and our home in Poland. We're settling in Warsaw, as long as he's playing for the Eagles. I'm happy to travel with him and support his career, why not? A change of scenery is nice, and I can be an author anywhere. Honestly, it's all worth it when you're with the person you love."

"We make time for each other. I mean, we're high school sweethearts, we can never be apart for too long. But he and I, we make it work. He travels with me to my book signings and conventions, and I go for his games. We cheer each other on, you know? He likes to take weekends off for me, so we can enjoy time together. And, we find our own ways to celebrate each other," I grin.

"How so?" she asks, intrigued.

"Wakatoshi has my book's cover as a poster at home, it's in a huge frame in our living room. He surprised me with it the day of the publishing. It felt like he was more excited for it than I was."

"Oh, how adorable!" She has a sincere disposition.

"He's the sweetest, so thoughtful. I'm not surprised, my ace has always been my biggest supporter through everything. Sometimes I think to myself, 'I'm really marrying this guy,' and I just freak out all over again." I laugh softly, rotating the ring incessantly around my finger.

She laughs with me. "Congratulations. I've seen the posts all over my social media, and everyone's overjoyed! You truly are the cutest pair."

"Thank you. I'm the luckiest woman to call him the love of my life. I can't wait to see what the future will bring for us," I smile.

The days have gone and the scenes have changed. Nights together and nights apart. Getaways and beach trips, restaurant dates, and walks in gardens. Shoulder naps on bullet trains with intertwined hands. Fresh lavenders, afternoons of reading and gardening. Cooking in our kitchen, hugs from behind, terrible dancing laced with chuckling. Celebrations, achievements, new dreams and promises. Engagement rings and mornings of waking up tangled. Kisses and touches. Flushed faces, glimmering eyes, and dashing smiles. Laughter, serenity, safety, love.

I wonder what else is in store for us. New adventures? Maybe. For now, it's eternity. I'll take it, as long as it's eternity with you.