22 | Waiting

"That is what remains in our lesson for today. You are dismissed." Mr. Watanabe dismisses us with his usual hand gesture.

I push my notes into my notebook and close it. Putting it into my bag, I turn to my right to talk to Kiyo.

"I'm so glad this lesson is over," she says, packing her stuff as the dismissal bell rings to mark the end of the day.

"Really? I thought it was quite fun." We pick up our bags and stand up.

"You like math. I don't, I get good grades by studying in the most dispassionate way possible."

"At least you excel in the most difficult subject? That's a plus," I suggest.

"Hell yeah, it is. When I'm at Dad's place, he's always shocked by my grades. He's not a math whiz, Mom was always the one helping me with math as a kid."

"I remember that. She was so good at fractions," I point, grasping onto that memory.

We walk out and are about to go to the right direction when I say, "Hey, you go ahead. I'll come in a second."

"Okay. The third years wants to head to the cafeteria to get snacks before splitting up. Just come by so you can meet up with Ushijima and head out after."

"Got it." I walk away.

I head over to Mrs. Ito's classroom. I need guidance. Not with our new passage, no way. I already began working on it individually to be prepared, I'm more than fine.

"Hey, Takahashi!" A first year I tutored, Haruki, runs towards me and waves.

"Hi, Haruki. Are you okay?"

He stops and takes a few breaths before saying, "Mrs. Ito needs you in her classroom." He pants strongly.

"Don't you worry, I'm heading there already."

"Okay."

"You should go to the cafeteria quickly. There's leftover curry they're selling for cheaper." I remember tutoring him once. I made curry since we were starving. He had three bowls. I had to give him the good news. And so, he bolts away.

I walk calmly to Mrs. Ito's classroom before composing my posture and smiling while opening the door.

"Hello, Mrs. Ito. I need your help."

"Oh, yes. Come in."

"I forgot you called me in for something. Please excuse me."

"It's fine, dear, go ahead."

"It's about the literature competition."

"I'm sure this is quite serious. You never have a problem with poetry. Go on."

"I'm having lots of difficulty with the topic. Every time I think of something elaborative, I can only write down two stanzas before stopping short and straying off to something else. There isn't anything in my life, perhaps, that I am able to discuss at a competitive level and with that amount of passion."

"Ah, I see. Author's block got you. I'm afraid there is no medicine that can dissolve the block in your way, Takahashi. It's a matter of your life and what you're surrounded with that might be what's stopping you. Authors with passions and talent that reaches farther than the universe but with no stable surrounding are in for a harsh ride. That I can't assist you with, I'm afraid. But, I will lend a helping hand with descriptive language if you encounter that issue."

"I understand. Thank you. You called me in for something?" I ask, slightly disappointed.

"It's about Ushijima. I intend on giving him an exam worth a good amount of his graduating grade in a week or two before the play he joined for extra credit."