Chapter Twenty

She smiled.

Smiling in the face of danger was something all the alters shared in common, well, except Darlington, she'd have shit her pants by now.

The Eragon, as was typical to Eragons, oozed of power. But he was.. different

Cliche, but true.

Tilting her head she narrowed her eyes and looked at him with different, far more perspective eyes; fea eyes.

Hmm, perhaps oozed was not quite the word. He leaked, yes, he leaked power.

Because of the vast amount he leaked could convince an average human that he had the typical aura.

But then, she and all the others that made up Adolorata were no where near average.

The hundred million dollar question was, if he could leak this amount, exactly how much power did the guy have?

There was also the question of why he leaked power.

"Acige" she said with a grin, "how could you tell?"

He straightened, his interest waning, "you ignored them"

At my confused stare, he clarified, "the people who stared at you taking the injection and stuff, Adolorata would have smiled at them and asked them if they wanted a shot"

She chuckled, "yeah, she would have, wouldn't she?"

A dreamy, for lack of better word, smile stretched across his face, turning his eyes light and his features soft.

Her brows flew up, "you care for her"

"Hmm" he hummed underneath his breath, his eyes still having that soft glint in it, "how silly of me"

"And how strange" Acige commented, "you barely know her. No, that's wrong, you know her enough to know that I am not her, so perhaps you do know her"

"Hmm" he hummed, disinterestedly, "can I have her back?"

"It doesn't work that way" she said, fully turning to face him, "I might remain present for the rest of the day, a minute more, an hour, or the rest of the year, who knows? How did you know about her illness?"

He scrounged his pretty face, "I didn't"

It was her turn to frown, "so you just took the fact that the woman you care about has DID in stride? Wow, aren't you sweet"

He shrugged nonchalantly.

Acige chewed on her lips for a while before saying, "say what, why don't I tell one little fact that you clearly need to hear?"

His smile was wide and uncaring, totally ignoring the doom and gloom behind her words. Funny enough, she could tell that the whole happygolucky bad boy thing that he was labeled as was one big fat lie. A mask. Possibly a self doned one.

She felt a cold shiver run down her spine. She didn't scare easy, but watching a guy whose aura pulsed with rage and unending darkness smile and charm his way through the school was creepy. And scary.

What a perfect little actor he was.

What a perfect mask he had.

What a perfect match he was for Adolorata.

What made her sit up straight was that she didn't know if he was, even then, only letting her see what he wanted her to see.

He was a deceiver, a charlatan.

A charlatan who claimed to care for her.

She let out a self mocking laugh, yeah, she only attracted the wrong ones alright. Like minds and all that shit.

Still, she had dealt with worse. Far, far worse.

A teasing smile on her face, she leaned closer to him, her breath teasing the soft skin of his ear as she whispered, "Adolorata is never going to care for you, she's never going to let herself return these.. feelings you have for her"

His chin lifted and in a typical, young master manner, he said, "how do you know that? You're not her"

Her smile was paper thin and chin splitting as she drew back, "that's where you're wrong, I am her. I am the sanest part of our beloved and insane Gaea"

She stood then, and walked away.

That's right, I's she and she was me. We were one and the same, different versions of the same tormented person.