Chapter Twenty-Six

Olivia was released about a week after the twins were born, but Silas and August had a longer stay ahead of them. There were a few close calls that included August needing surgery when one of his lungs collapsed, but afterwards, he was completely fine. The boys just needed to gain weight and learn to breathe without the help of additional oxygen.

Olivia and Nick were busy going between the hospital and home all the time, that they didn't address the fact that Zara had called Olivia mommy. They planned to address it if she ever said it again, but at this point, it only seemed like a slip up.

"I just got a call!" Olivia smiled as she brushed tears from her cheeks.

"Okay, you are smiling and crying. Is it good news?" Nick mused, from where he sat and held Zara as they watched TV.

"It is great news! August and Silas are ready to come home!" Olivia cried as more tears slipped down her cheeks.

The whole family had just been waiting for a call from the hospital, because it had been such a hard month since the boys were born. But now they could all be together as a family.

"Today?!" Zara squealed, as she quickly scrambled from her father's lap and raced to Olivia.

"Yes, today! We gotta go get dressed and head over to get them."

"I can't wait! Can I come too, Mommy?!" Zara called, as she ran from the living room and towards her room. Olivia froze as Nick smiled and walked over to her.

"Well, Mommy, gonna answer her?" Nick asked, and Olivia nodded.

"O-of course you can come, Z."

///

Zara was so antsy on the whole ride to the hospital. She kept asking questions about her baby brothers, and was wondering if she could hold them once they got home.

"Zara?" Olivia asked softly, as she waited for her boyfriend to join them by the front door. He went to park, so Olivia had plenty of time to talk to Zara about what she had said earlier.

"Yes?" The little girl sighed, since she was tired of waiting.

"Did you mean to call me mommy earlier?" Olivia questioned, her voice soft and shaking slightly.

"I like calling you mommy. Is that okay?"

"Of course that is okay, love! It makes me so happy that you think of me as your mommy."

"Well, my other mommy isn't nice. She left us, and you haven't. I'm glad you haven't, as well. I love you too much." Zara smiled.

Olivia blinked away tears as she reached out and smoothed her little girl's hair.

"I love you too, my love. More than you can ever imagine."

The family went upstairs once Nick joined them again. They took the elevator up to the NICU and were quickly escorted into a side room where the twins were going to do their car seat test.

"What happens if they don't pass?" Olivia whispered, as she, Nick, and Zara all stood and watched the boys as they sat in their car seats.

"They will be kept for about another week and we can test them again." One of the many NICU nurses smiled.

"C'mon, Auggie and Silas... I want you to come home." Zara mumbled to herself, but everyone heard her.

They stood and waited patiently for the test to be over with, and the boys slept through the whole thing. Olivia, Nick, and Zara had to try and not be too loud when cheering for their little fighters.

///

August and Silas had a rough first night at home. Not only were their parents not used to having a newborn around, let alone two, they also didn't realize how the sudden lack of sleep would affect them.

"I slept for like an hour in total last night." Olivia yawned as she and Nick stood next to the coffeepot and waited for it to stop brewing.

"I may have gotten a little more than you, but not much. August had a blow out not long after midnight." Nick sighed before closing his eyes.

"Of course he did. Nicholas, do you think we can actually do this? Or are we gonna be shitty parents?" Olivia asked.

"Babe, don't worry about it. This is your first set of babies, so it's gonna be hard. But this will all be worth it. Now, why don't you take this time to shower and maybe get some more sleep? I'll be on tiny monster duty." Nick grinned.

"I love you so much that it isn't funny. Thank you."

The twins woke up not long after Olivia went to shower, but Nick took care of them. He didn't want Olivia to get overwhelmed, so he decided to give his girlfriend as many breaks as needed.Then while Olivia was napping, Zara got up and was weirdly needy.

"Daddy, where's Mommy?!" Zara exclaimed, as she tugged on her father's t-shirt and stared up at him.

"Mommy is sleeping, Z. So please, keep it down. Inside voices only." Nick replied, as he tried to move away from his daughter.

"I want Mommy!" Zara cried out as the doorbell rang.

Nick ignored his daughter as he moved to answer the door, while Zara chanted mommy over and over again.

"Now is not the time." Nick sighed, as he opened the door.

"Hey, Nick." Maria smiled weakly, as she looked at her ex.

"No. Go."

"What? Nick-"

"Daddy, I want Mommy! Please go get her!" Zara yelled, as she came up and shoved herself between the door and her father's legs.

"Hey, love! I'm right here!" Maria smiled, as she reached out to her daughter. Zara shook her head as she stomped her little foot.

"I want my real Mommy! I want Olivia! Not you!"