Chapter Twelve

Cesaria sighed once she finally got her son home. He had been leaning on her heavily as they walked up the stairs and even once they had entered the house. Nick was the drunkest that his mother had ever seen him, and she hated to see him like this. Whenever Nick got scared and drank away his problems, it just made his problems worse.

“Can you turn off the lights?” Nick yawned as he flopped down onto the sofa and placed his arm across his eyes to block out the light.

“No, I will not.” Cesaria spoke quickly. Nick lifted his arm and eyed his mother.

“Ma-”

“You ran off and got incredibly drunk, Nicolas. You not only scared me and Zara, but you scared the crap out of that partner of yours.” Cesaria frowned. If Nick scared her, that was one thing. But scaring Zara and Olivia was something she didn’t want to happen. Cesaria wanted everything to be good so that she may be able to be a grandmother to that baby.

“Everything is okay now. I’m here and feeling pretty good.” Nick smiled. He went to roll over, but stopped when Cesaria grabbed his arm and jerked him to a stop.

“If you want anything to do with that baby… the one that Olivia is carrying, then you need to get your shit together. And if you want me to stay around and help with Zara, fix things. Tell me why you ran off… tell me what the hell is happening in that head of yours.”

///

Olivia sat at her desk the next morning with a pounding headache. After everything that happened over the last few weeks, being here just made things worse. Her squadroom in the sixteenth precinct didn’t make her feel safe anymore, it made her feel beyond worse.

“Benson?” Nick spoke softly, and Olivia turned around in her chair and eyed Nick. She was pissed off at him, but too tired to do anything about it right now.

“I’m surprised that you are standing by yourself.” Olivia sighed.

“Yeah, I had a rough night of getting sick, but I’m feeling better now… did the good ol fashion hangover cure.” Nick said with a weak smile. Olivia shook her head as she sighed softly.

“Don’t smile at me and act as if we are okay.”

“Olivia-”

“We aren’t okay, Nick! You scared the crap out of me! I was worried that you might be dead or laying in a ditch somewhere!” Olivia yelled.

“I know, and I’m sorry.”

“Really? Are you sorry? What would have happened if you got killed? You would have two kids without a father!” Olivia yelled, before stopping and swallowing hard.

“Olivia, I thought that I had no claim to your baby… did you change your mind?” Nick breathed, and Olivia laughed and shook her head.

“No, I didn’t change my mind! God, you make me so angry!” Olivia yelled. She stood and walked towards the locker room as she kept opening and closing her fists.

She had been certain that the door had clicked shut behind her, but it hadn’t. Olivia only realized when she felt Nick’s hand against her shoulder.

“I am sorry that I worried you, Olivia. That I scared you, my mother, and Zara. I didn’t mean to hurt you all, especially since I care incredibly deeply about you all.”

“Nick, you care about me?” Olivia whispered, but then she remembered why Nick cared about her.

“Of course I care about you.” Nick smiled softly.

“No, you only care about me because my little bean is technically ours. Since you had to be a fucking sperm donor and I fell in love with your profile.” Olivia spat.