You Need to Run

•••

Ronda knocks on the open door of Chief Hopper's office. He's not wearing his uniform anymore. Hopper turns to look at Ronda. "Ronnie. I'm, uh, a little busy—"

"I understand, Chief, but I think you should know—"

"You're worried about Barbara Holland. I know, Ronda. Chris told me. You spoke with Powell and Callahan. Our working theory is that she took off."

"I know all about your working theory, Chief. And it's bullshit." Hopper raises an eyebrow at the girl, admiring her nerve, but also not in the mood to argue with a kid. "With all due respect, something is going on here. I think what happened to Will happened to Barb. I heard you talking to Officer Powell at the library. Maybe there is some big grand conspiracy."

Hopper suddenly loses interest in her words. He already has to deal with Joyce's grief and wild stories; he doesn't want to hear it again. Ronda, knowing that she's about to lose him, steps in the doorframe. It's not exactly foolproof, he can move her with one shove of the hand, but she's not going to back down yet. "I saw something out there. In the woods. Where Will disappeared, probably where Barb did, too."

"A bear, right?"

"No." Ronda shakes her head. "It was something worse. Something big and long and it...it didn't—"

Hopper frowns, recognizing these words. He tilts his head. "Didn't have a face?"

Ronda stares up at him, her brown eyes shining behind her frames. "What if it took Will and Barb?"

"Will Byers is—"

"Dead? Right? Well, isn't it weird that Officer David O'Bannon isn't even from the Roane County Police Department? Or this department? Why would Indiana State Police care about one missing kid?"

"How did you—?"

"I did my research, just like you did with the lab." Ronda swallows. "With my mom. Someone is trying very hard to cover up these disappearances. Barb's missing car and Will's body being found, but no one can get a good look at him. They just keep playing that stupid news report over and over on the TV." Ronda sighs heavily, her voice raw with emotion. "Something is going on here. Whether it's a damn animal or the state police, I don't care. But I'm going to get answers, so I can do what you won't. I'm going to find Barb before she's the next body you find in that quarry."

Hopper squares his jaw. "All right."

Ronda stands up straight. "Then I'm coming with you."

"Hey, Ron—"

"I'm coming with," she orders.

Chris stands near Hawkins Lab; the bright outside lights aren't so bright in the Vale of Shadows. Black tendrils, of god-knows-what, grow on the walls of the building. Glass is broken from windows, and shadows move swiftly from within the once immenitribal walls. Chris notices a long trail of industrial rope wire lying on the ground. It's being pulled further into the shadows, away from the lab. Chris turns toward the forest, moving alongside the rope.