Maybe He's Sick of Cow

•••

Lisa is standing across from Robbie in her tiny apartment. The two of them are staring at a blueprint of the Columbus Labs. It's spread across her coffee table, being held down by a stapler and a picture of Lisa and her parents. She has her arms folded across herself.

"So I can get about here without being detected?" asks Robbie, pointing to the first floor of the offices above the lab. He stares up at Lisa with dark eyes. He's stretched across the table, trying to see the entire map.

"Theoretically," Lisa comments, swallowing. "Yes." She drops her hands to her sides. "You'll have to wait until I can get Nine up above ground..."

Robbie frowns. "There's got to be more that I can do besides wait..."

Lisa shakes her head. "No. Even if we turn the power off, and get all the cameras off. The back-up generator will kick in less than two minutes after."

"Where's that?" he wonders. "The back-up generator?"

Lisa gives Robbie a confused look, tilting her head downward. Bright blonde hair falls in front of her face. She bends over the map, surveying it with her eyes. She points to the west-end of the building. "There. Outside. You'd need wire or cable cutters, but it should be easy to get to."

Robbie grins. "Perfect. I'll cut the back-up generator as soon as you cut the power. That buys you and Nine more time to get out of the building without being seen. We'll park the car down a ways. I'll meet you there."

Their eyes meet for a moment. Lisa and Robbie don't break their gaze, both thinking about things they shouldn't. "And what if we get to the car first?"

"I'll leave the keys inside." Robbie blinks, looking away. Lisa doesn't seem to like this idea. "They won't kill me. They'll have a bigger problem on their hands then." Robbie places a hand on Lisa's arm. She stares up at him. "We can do this."

Darkness has fallen and has brought in a light fog with it. The fog blankets the ground outside, making it a little difficult for everyone inside the bus to see if Dart is coming. The bus has been barricaded heavily with scrap metal and junk. Max found a ladder and propped it against the sunroof on the bus. Lucas is on top of the ladder now, using his binoculars to catch anything in the yard.

Below him, Max and Steve aren't too far from each other, both of them sitting on the floor of the bus, their backs are against old seats and the side of the bus, trying to get as comfortable as they can in the rusty transportation. Steve is flicking a lighter on and off again. The metal clasp clanks up and down as he does it.

Max tilts her head, staring at Steve cautiously. "So you really fought one of these things before?" Steve bobs his head. "And you're, like, totally, one hundred percent sure it wasn't a bear?"

From the end of the bus, Dustin paces, his voice is loud when he cuts in. "Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear." Chris is curled up on one of the seats across the floor, staring up at Dustin as he glares down at Max. "Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."