We are Not Calling the Cops

"Here," El says as they approach the Byers house late at night. She turns to face the others, who stare at the house. Chris notices all the lights off; she frowns to herself.

"Yeah, this is where Will lives," informs Mike.

"Hiding," El explains.

Chris turns her attention back to Eleven. The word hiding hangs in her head like fog. There's something more to this. Something more to what El is saying, but it doesn't quite make sense yet.

"No, no, this is where he lives. He's missing from here. Understand?"

"What are we doing here?" Dustin cuts in, tired and hungry.

Mike turns to his friends. "She said he's hiding here."

"Um no! I swear, if we walked all the way out here for nothing—"

Lucas throws his hands in the air. "That's exactly what we did. I told you she didn't know what the hell she was talking about!" Lucas accuses, glaring daggers at El. El frowns, not understanding what they don't understand about Will hiding here.

"Why did you bring us here?" Mike retorts.

"Mike, don't waste your time with her."

Mike whirls back to Lucas, shouting. "What do you want to do then?"

"Call the cops, like we should have done yesterday."

"We are not calling the cops!" scoffs Chris, holding up her hands. El looks frightened.

"And why the hell not?" blurts Robbie, his arm wrapped around his side. He narrows his eyes at Chris. "She bruised my ribs!"

"Hey, guys?" Dustin says, watching as police cars drive by.

"What other choice do we have?" questions Lucas, his voice rising over Chris and Robbie's arguing.

"Guys!" yells Dustin. The six of them turn, hurrying back down the driveway as the emergency vehicles drive away.

Hopper and Powell dart out of the truck, meeting with Callahan. The three of them reach the firefighters, who are pulling a body out of the ravine. Ronda is standing by a firetruck, adjusting her glasses nervously. She turns when she hears the others approach on the bikes.

"Ronnie." Robbie hurries to his sister, who hugs him tight. He groans in pain, but they choose to ignore it. Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and El all hide behind the firetruck with the twins. Chris moves forward.

"Christine," Ronda croaks. She's too afraid to move after her.

The body is recovered from the ravine, the firefighters lift it onto a stretcher, pulling it to shore. The body is small, and wears a bright red vest just like the one Will had on the night he went missing. Hopper catches a glimpse of the face and turns away in anger. Chris has an open view of the body as well. She stares in shock.

"It's not Will. It can't be," Mike whispers.

Chris's green eyes lock with her father, tears falling down her face. She takes one step forward, a hand to her mouth, and sinks to her knees. She sobs, rocking on her feet. Hopper crouches down next to her.

"It's Will. It's really Will," Lucas replies, tears threatening to spill.

Ronda and Robbie lean into each other for a moment before Ronda opens her arms to Lucas and Dustin, who hug her tightly. There are tears in her eyes, too, but she can't help feel as if it's still not over yet. Barbara is missing now, too.

Mike moves away from the truck. El touches his shoulder. "Mike."

Mike slaps her hand away, "Mike? Mike, what? You were supposed to help us find him alive. You said he was alive!" Mike starts shouting at her. "Why did you lie to us? What's wrong with you? What is wrong with you?"

"Mike," she tries again.

"What?" he spats. Mike moves toward his bike, mounting it.

Lucas and Dustin separate from Ronda. Lucas sniffles, "Mike, come on. Don't do this, man."

"Mike. Mike, where are you going?" Dustin asks, wiping at his tears.

"Mike! Mike!"

The end. Thanks for reading! I'm just kidding. My jokes aren't funny, I should stop now...

Kate