Chapter 9

A heavy sigh leaves me, dropping my bag on the floor of my silent apartment. The rooms dark, the only light coming from the windows. The moon sits high in the night sky, the stars scattered beautifully across the deep black sky. I wish I had a balcony, to go out and sit on, to watch the stars and watch everything going on around me. Or to see the clouds drift across the sky with the gentle breeze.

The fan clicks as it spins quickly, blowing cool air onto my skin as I kick my heels off. I crack my toes, letting out a breath at the feeling of home. It's been a long week and a half. But me and Ryan's date is tomorrow. I can't wait. We're going to one of our favorite restaurants, where we had our first date. I already have a dress and shoes. Everything. I have it all planned out. What I'm wearing, what's under it, my makeup.

It's been so long since I've been on a date.

It's been so long since I've seen Ryan.

My phone buzzes and I grab it, clicking it on to see Vanessa's contact glaring at me. A smile lifts on my face, swiping open my messages.

——————————————————————————
Van: Hey Dora! Can I come over tonight?
We need a girls night!

Me: Yeah, you can come over. I
have to work on a painting for
Dawson though.

Van: Oooo 😉

Me: No.

Van: Fine. Be there in 20! Love ya!

Me: Love you too.

————————————————————————

I roll my eyes at her response and set my phone down, walking over to the kitchen and setting my phone down. My fingers find the button to my blazer and push it out of the slot. The fabric opens and falls at my sides before I shuck it off and head towards my closet, my feet adjusting to the flat floor.

Have you ever worn heels all day and then took them off and then had that feeling like your foot should still be in heels?

I get that a lot. Everyday.

I need a shower.

   And dinner. I need to continue the painting as well, I want to give it to Dawson before we leave for the trip. I started the background, now I'm just working on the buildings and everything else. It's calming too. Give me something else to focus on.

   Walking through my living room I toss my blazer onto the couch, my eyes snagging at the painting and sighing. I have so much to do with such little time. I have to get this done tonight.

   A quick shower, an over-sized t-shirt and some shorts will do. Very well. Messy bun and some paintbrushes, maybe a frozen pizza. Some music playing from my Bluetooth speaker.

   Yeah.

   That sounds good to me.

   My fingers dust over the fabric of my blankets, bending down to pull out the clear tub of bins. All my clothes are neatly folded and put away. Tucked under my bed. Away from sight. It makes my tiny apartment look nicer, not having a big dresser taking up more space that I need.