Chapter 25

Movement makes my eyes flutter open. The room is still dark around me, the rain still pattering on the windows heavily and the movie still playing. I'm laying sideways now though. The same feeling I had while on the private jet. A soft touching registers on my head, dragging through my hair that I left down. A sigh leaves my parted lips, tilting my head up to look at the ceiling, only to be met with Dawson. I'm in his lap. Again. I had fallen asleep in his lap.

He must think I'm annoying.

But he says nothing and continues to comb his fingers through my hair. He's so warm. And safe feeling. It's nice. Being able to lay and not be woken, even if it bothers him. Besides, I didn't sleep well last night. He probably understands that. Right?

My eyes trail along his body that I can see from here. His well sculpted abs, all hard, lean muscle. His biceps large, his forearms veiny. His thick neck does nothing to show irritation of me laying on him. And when my eyes trail up passed his chiseled jawline, I actually think I see a gentle curve to his soft looking lips. His eyes find my wandering ones, "You fell asleep, bella," he murmurs, the song from a new movie playing through the speakers of the TV. I don't bother to turn and see what he put on.

   A yawn stretches across my face, shifting my whole body to lay on my back, my eyes never leaving his. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I can move—" Dawson shakes his head and the words I once had died in my throat.

   "No, it's—" Dawson gets cut off by the blaring ringer of his phone. He groans, his eyes pinching closed before opening them, a cord in his neck popping out. I quickly sit up, scooting my way back over to where I originally had been sitting. Dawson's eyes follow me. My every movement. The phone continues to ring, the sound ear piercing. Dawson doesn't move though. He just watches me. With soft red eyes and a sweet smile.

   The ringing finally stops and he lets out a sigh, "It must not be that impor—" but then it starts ringing again and Dawson curses under his breath.

   He grumbles as he gets up, stretching his arms up with sigh before walking over to his phone that's vibrating and ringing like crazy on the breakfast bar counter.

   I force my eyes back to the movie and he picks up the phone, but my ears zone in on what he's saying.

   "What?" He snaps into the phone. There's a long pause of silence before Dawson starts speaking again, "Are you serious?" Another pause "I pay you guys to do one fucking job." He grits angrily into the phone.

   This can not be good.

   Dawson pulls in some deep breaths before he walks over to the closet with the phone still pressed to his ear. Anger burns in his eyes. What went wrong this time? Did I mess something up? Was it my fault?

   "Fix it." He snaps but then growls at something they said, "Well, why can't you?"

   Another long period of silence. "Fine. I'll be there in twenty minutes." He states before hanging up the phone. Leaving? He's leaving? Those words make me stand up, worry crossing my mind. Dawson looks over towards me, the anger still evident in his eyes, but the second our eyes meet, his soften. "Something went wrong in one of the warehouses. I need to go and fix it." He says. I nod and he turns his back to me, going through the closet to find his suit.

   "Do you have to go?" The question leaves my mouth before I had a chance to stop it and Dawson's body froze. His eyes find mine again. A sigh leaves me and he quickly ditched the suit finding to walk over to me.

   His cologne and spice invade my senses. And he steps close to me. Maybe only centimeters apart. His hands glide across my cheeks, cupping my face in his hands. Dawson lets out a sigh, leaning his forehead against mine. We're breathing in each other's air now, his body so close to mine. Our eyes find each other's once more and I can't help the wave of comfort that washes over my body. "Yes, ragazza carina, I do. But I'll be back as soon as I can, I promise." His promise gives me hope. Something I don't normally feel.