Funeral

Despite all the crazy shit going on you drop Nancy off back home, as you turn to leave she grabs your arm and pulls you into a hug "thank you" she whispers pulling away and closing the door before you can respond. As you stand there in the cold evening air you're left with a warm feeling in your cheeks.

You needed some rest in preparation for the emotional day ahead, Wills funeral. So you went to sleep - that is after checking on Dustin and him reporting to you on the 'upside down' that was supposedly a hidden dimension were Will was. You still weren't really believeing this idea but didn't have the heart to shoot Dustin down. Maybe tomorrow he can get some closure and except the unfortunate situation.

///

As the sun makes its way into your window you strech out your tired limbs. Fuck. Today's the day.

You reach into your closet pulling out a black pencil dress you haven't worn in over a year, you hated how formal it was but kept for any 'circumstances' alike this one.

You prepare yourself and check on Dustin helping him into a tie. He doesn't look nearly as upset as you'd expected but maybe that's a good thing. Your entire body felt heavy with the weight of it all.

Choosing to stand with Johnathan during the ceremony you let your mind go blank ignoring everything surrounding you. You really loved Will and you had barley accepted what was happening, you just kept thinking about all the times you would draw together and exchange pictures. Dustin had never been super artsy but you loved it so sharing that with Will had always been special.

Before you knew it the funeral was coming to a close and people were leaving. You hadn't spoken a word to anyone the entire time and still couldn't manage anything. You felt choked up from holding back tears.

A hand touches your hair, tucking back a loose strand. "Y/N, are you still in?" Nancy's voice broke you out of the daze. You remembered agreeing to hunt down the man or creature or whatever she said it was.

You push aside the grief steeling yourself. "Yeah of course" she gently takes your hand and leads you away from the dispersing crowd to a large gravestone where John is sitting. He looks up greeting you quietly as you and Nancy get down next to him. He unfurls a map with red spots on it marking where the thing was spotted.

"Whatever this thing is its not travelling far" he tells you.

Nancy sighs "you wanna go out there?"

He looks between you both "we might not find anything"

"I found something" pausing she adds "and if we do see it? Then what"

You take her hand again letting your confusing turmoil of emotions turn into raw rage "we kill it."

After arranging another meetup you depart going to the after ceremony with Dustin and your mother. You stick to a corner running over the plan in your mind while the boys pester Mr Clark. He tells them about a gate, how if something powerful enough existed could tear a hole into another realm of sorts. Well Eleven shut a door with her mind sure but this was mental. No actually planning on killing a giant faceless thing was mental. You stay quiet for the remainder of the event and are happy when you get home, Dustin seems to sense your mood and lets you slink off to your room unbothered. Oh shit. You haven't told him yet.

After an extended internal conflict you decide against telling him. He has enough to think about with all this portal dimensions BS. You, Nancy and Johnathan were going to hunt this freak down and murder it so theres no point getting him worked up anyway.

///

You reached under your bed finding a locked dusty old briefcase. In it you had a gun and some ammo your dad had gifted you and taught you how to use when you were younger. You tried not to think of him too much, or at all if you were being honest. It hurt too much. He had passed away in your preteens (a long time after he and your mom had separated and she met Dustin's dad). You had always loved the weekends away when you would visit him and he would take you camping and hunting.