Chapter 26: Clearing The Air

Joella

I walked into the luxurious restaurant known as Che's. Mom said she made reservations so I gave my name to the host and she led me to the table.

I was happy to see we were by a window. I loved looking at the pond that sat behind the restaurant. Mom wasn't here yet so I took a seat and waited for her.

Removing my oversized sunglasses, I looked over the menu. A few minutes later my mom walked in. She looked exquisite in her red and black maxi dress. Her hair was pulled up in a curly bun and I couldn't help but smile as she walked to our table.

Standing to my feet, I smiled as she pulled me into a loving hug.

"This is how I know you are my child, we both thought to wear a dress and buns today." She said with a chuckle.

She was right my hair was up in a curly bun and as opposed to her red and black maxi dress, I wore a bright orange strapless dress. Either way, we both looked cute.

"Have you ordered yet?" She asked as she sat down.

"No, I was waiting on you. But I know what I want." I stated.

The waiter came and took our orders, grilled salmon Cesar salad for me and pesto pasta and bread sticks for my mom.

"So I met Brad's mom." I started and my mom looked up at me.

"What'd you think?" She asked.

"She's hilarious! But I was shocked to learn who she is." I said. I obviously couldn't fully come out and say who she was in public. But the look on mom's face let me know she knew.

"How long did you know?" I asked.

" I knew before Brad and I got married. He didn't want any secrets between us."

"That's nice I guess."

Mom tilted her head and gave me a questioning look.

"Are you upset I didn't tell you?" She asked.

I sighed but before I could answer, the waiter was bringing our food. We thanked him and began to eat. Mom looked at me expectantly and I sighed again.

"It's just...there was a lot you didn't tell me back then."

Her face fell and her shoulders slumped slightly.

"I know and I'm so sorry for that. I really should've handled that better." She admitted.

"I was so awe-struck in love. So excited to find love again. Real genuine love, that I forgot about my daughter. I know Haden was way worse than what you led on. I'm sorry I didn't protect you back then."

This time I tilted my head.

"How do you know he was worse?" I asked.

"After you graduated and went off to school, I ran into Josh at the mall. He asked how you were doing. I told him you were doing fine. He asked if you were worth Haden and of course, I said yes. He told me that I shouldn't trust Haden with you. Then he went on to tell all the stories of how Haden bullied you from middle school through to your junior year...he told me about the bruises.."

I didn't know what to say. It was all true. My head started to hurt knowing Josh told my mom everything. I wasn't necessarily upset that she knew. I was more upset that Josh felt it was okay to tell her when it was not his story to tell.

By now, tears were pouring from her eyes. I stood up and walked around the table, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"I brought you to live with a boy who was physically harming you and I had no idea because I was blinded by my happiness. That was so selfish of me."

"It's okay mom. I forgave you a while ago. Besides, look how wonderful everything turned out." I said trying to cheer her up.

She nodded but the tears never stopped falling. I soon realized, there was more on her mind.

"Ella, sweetheart. I need to tell you something." She said as she dabbed the napkin around her eyes.

I could feel my anxiety starting to kick in.

"What is it?" My voice was full of concern.

She sighed and pat my hand.

"Have a seat baby."

I did as she said and sat down. Reaching across the table. She held my hands in hers.

"I-I have ovarian cancer. Stage 3."

I immediately felt like I couldn't breathe.  Ovarian cancer? Why my mom? Why now? I felt like my lungs were caving in. I couldn't breathe. It wasn't until my mom was frantically pushing my anxiety pills in my face did I realize I hadn't taken a breath.

Inhaling deeply, my mom took that opportunity to stuff the pills in my mouth and hand me my glass of water.

"Sorry." I choked out. Wiping the tears from my face.

"It's okay sweetheart." She said softly while rubbing the side of my face.

"What are the next steps?" I asked.

"Well, I have to have surgery. A hysterectomy. Some chemo treatments. But the doctors Brad got are very optimistic." She said softly.

I nodded but couldn't speak for fear of bursting into tears again.

"We're...hopeful"

"You will get through this," I said as I pulled her into another hug. She will get through this. She has to.

...

Haden

I checked my phone for the 20th time since Ella had left to meet Stella. I needed to go meet up with Mr. Abara and go over our new arrangements.

I wanted to be here when Ella came back. I needed to make sure she was okay. I quickly sent Luca a text telling him to start the meeting.

My home was empty. I gave all my guards the week off. Ella was overly happy about that, however, Tony still came by every day and accompanied her when she went out.

As soon as I put my phone down I heard my door unlocking. Ella walked in and I could tell she had been crying. She looked up at me with red puffy eyes.

"Why didn't you warn me?" She croaked.

The guilt washed over me as I saw the tears well up in her eyes again. Not saying a word, I opened my arms and she walked up to me. I wasn't even surprised when she shoved me.

"You knew. Why wouldn't you warn me?!" Another shove.

I allowed her to shove and punch at my chest until she collapsed in my arms.

"I'm so sorry baby." I whispered and kissed the top of her head.

Her arms wrapped tightly around my torso as she buried her face in my shirt. Kneeling slightly I hooked my arm under her knees and lifted her bridal style and walked to the sofa. I sat with her still in my arms.

"She has to make it through this Haden. I can't lose her too." She sobbed.

My hold tightened on her as I fought back my own tears. Seeing Ella like this crushed me and I felt helpless. I wanted to take all of her pain. But at this moment, I couldn't.

"She will get through this baby. We all will." I said and placed another kiss on her head.

Her sobs didn't stop and her hold on me tightened. Luca could handle the meeting. I wasn't leaving my baby tonight.

.
.
.

🥺🥺🥺
Are y'all as emotional as me right now?
Vote. Comment. Share