Chapter 48: Misery

Haden

We all rushed into the hospital. Morgan and Ashley immediately hugged Stella as she cried. Some nurses tried to come and help her with her head wound, but she kept pushing them away, telling them she just needed to know if her daughter was okay.

This was supposed to be a happy day, the love of my life agreed to be my wife, but everything had gone to shits. As I sat quietly to myself, my attention was pulled to the hand on my shoulder.

I looked up to see Luca who hesitated before speaking.

"I'm not even going to ask if you're okay. Because I know you're not."

My leg bounced anxiously as I nodded and looked back down at my hands.

"Come on man, let's go wash your hands."

I shook my head. My hands wouldn't be washed. I needed to sit in this. Realize that my Ella was hurt because of me. I wouldn't be washing my hands until I was able to touch her.

"What about something to eat or drink?" I heard Luca speak again.

Once again, I shook my head. I closed my eyes as the sound of Stella's cries echoed through the emergency room. I finally looked up as I heard Stella yell out.

"No! I don't want to hear it, Brad! Everyone said they would keep her safe. IS THIS KEEPING HER SAFE?!"

Dad tried to wrap his arms around Stella but she kept pushing him away.

"NO! Don't touch me, just don't!" She spat, jutting her arm out and walking to the other side of the waiting room.

Her eyes met mine briefly and all I saw was anger in her eyes. I understood, we failed...I failed. I understood if she hated me. I hated myself.

Like a coward, I looked away and put my head in my hands. Heavy footsteps could be heard rushing into the emergency room. I looked up to see Jacob, Ella's grandma, and a host of other people I didn't know.

I watched silently as Jacob spoke silently to several men in black suits and bow ties across their necks. They nodded silently as Jacob walked to the registration desk. I couldn't hear what he said, but soon after the men disappeared down the hall in the direction Ella was rushed in.

Jacob spoke to Nonna briefly before his eyes met mine. He gave me a slight nod before walking over to Stella who sat alone with her arms wrapped around herself.

Dad watched helplessly on the other side of the room. I knew he wanted to be next to her, but he understood she needed space. Yet and still I know it was torture for him to watch her break down in Jacob's arms.

With a heavy sigh, his hand wiped over his face as Nonna walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Looking away, I stayed tucked in my corner away from everyone. Morgan had started to make her way to me, but Luca stopped her. I was grateful for that. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just needed the surgeon to come out and give us good news.

The time went by slowly. So slowly I felt I was beginning to lose my mind. I abruptly stood to my feet and walked to the information desk. The lady put her phone down as she looked up at me expectantly.

"Are there any updates on Joella Stevens?" I asked. My jaw was tight, I was trying to keep my composure. But we had been out here for 2 hours now without a fucking word.

"I'm sorry sir, the doctor will come out to speak with you."

With a low grumble, I turned around and instantly got annoyed as I stared at the person coming through the sliding doors.