Chapter 55: Unease

Joella

"You sure you want to do this? I already told you when you're ready to come back, the job is yours." Josh replied on the phone.

I had sent in my resignation letter. I hadn't been to work in months and yet I was still getting a paycheck. It didn't feel right, that wasn't money I had earned and I knew I was only still getting paid because I knew the owners. If I was anyone else, they would have been let me go.

"Yes I'm sure, it just seems like a waste of company resources." I say as I sit on my bed and lay my head back. I take the phone from my head and put it on speaker.

"Nonsense, in the short time you were here you made some great calculations. Caught some things that could've cost the company billions. Hell, dad was talking about giving you a big promotion when you returned."

"I don't know Josh. A lot has happened, my mom is still recovering from her surgery, I'm pregnant and planning a wedding." I stated.

"You can take as much time as you need. We will be here when you are ready. The marketing team has raved about how helpful you've been over email. Your suggestions have worked great. We don't want to lose you."

"Okay, well you don't have to pay me. I haven't been there long enough to take maternity leave." My eyes move to the bedroom door as I watch Haden walk in. He looks tired, but as his eyes meet mine, a lightness takes over his features and a small smile comes to his face. I smile back before my attention is pulled back to my phone.

"Joella, it's honestly okay. You still put your input in when needed. I'm happy to keep paying you."

Haden lays next to me and puts his head on my lap after placing a kiss on my stomach.

"Just take the money." Haden mumbles while adjusting his head to make himself more comfortable.

"See, something me and Haden agree on." Josh stated lightly.

I looked down at Haden who rolled his eyes but stayed quiet.

"Alright, I guess I'll see you when I see you." I added.

"Alright, congrats on the engagement. Hope to get an invite on the special day." He added before hanging up.

I looked down at Haden to see him already staring at me.

"No" he said with a straight face causing me to chuckle.

"I wasn't even about to say anything."

"Sure." He says with a smirk. "You hungry?" He asks.

"Very."

He laughs as he sits up and climbs out the bed. He helps me out and starts to lead me to the door.

"What sounds good?"

"A cheeseburger with fried pickles." I answer without a single thought.

Haden chuckled as his hand interlocked with mine.

"Cheeseburger it is."

.
.
.

Luca

"Hey grandpa, you wanted to see me?" I asked as I walked into his study and shut the door.

"Yes, have a seat." He stated as he looked at multiple papers around his desk. He looked stressed.

"Everything okay?" I asked while studying his face. He glanced at me, before removing his glasses and leaning back in his chair.

"All things considered, I guess it could be worse." He said with a sigh.

I nodded in understanding. Learning about everyone who betrayed us was tough. It was especially tough for grandpa, a lot of those men he knew for years. It was mostly the older ones, the ones who had old views and were stuck in their ways.