Chapter 47: Worst Nightmare

Joella

My eyes opened slowly. I blinked a few times to clear my eyes, the ringing in my ears was so loud, it was hard for me to focus. Haden's form began to clear as I saw his mouth moving but heard nothing.

Slowly the sound began to come back. Haden was holding something out to me. As I tried to process everything going on around me, my attention snapped back to Haden as he grabbed my shoulders.

"ELLA! Do you understand?" I blinked again as I stared up at him.

"Huh?"

"Come on, baby, focus! Take this gun. Anyone comes near you and you shoot! Do you understand?

Suddenly I became aware of the many gunshots going off outside of the Limo. My eyes snapped to the front to see the driver slumped over, lifeless. As my heart pumped faster and faster, my eyes looked at the car Brad and Mom were in.

"Haden...Mom!...Brad-"

"I know, I'm going to check. Ella stay in the car. Shoot if anyone you don't know comes to the door." With that, he pecked my lips and rushed out the door.

I looked out the window to see Tony, the guys, and Nonna's men all shooting or fighting. Several men were already laid out on the ground and the strong smell of iron was beginning to take over.

My pulse raced as I looked at the truck Mom and Brad were in. It was in bad shape. I watched as the back door flew open and Brad tumbled out of the car with mom in his hands.

My heart began to pound faster in my chest as Brad frantically shook mom's shoulders while supporting her head. Her eyes were closed, and blood trickled down the side of her head.

I caught a figure coming around the back of the truck, the man held a gun in his hand. Without a thought, I lifted the gun Haden gave me and pulled the trigger. The bullet ripped through the windshield, catching the guy in his ear. His body dropped next to Brad and Mom.

Brad jumped at the body and he quickly looked around. We made eye contact, I could see the tears falling down his face. Mom still wasn't moving. He gently picked her up after grabbing the gun on the ground.

Haden ran in front of them and kept guard as Brad made his way to the limo. The door opened and he slid mom into the seat next to me. I instantly put my index and middle finger to her neck.

She had a pulse.

I sighed in relief. Brad quickly ripped off a piece of his shirt and tied it firmly around mom's head. He placed a kiss on her forehead before he looked at Haden.

They didn't say anything, but the look on their faces caused a chill to run down my spine. Never have I seen that look in Brad's eyes before.

Swiftly, they closed the door. My hands were shaking, but I managed to keep the gun firm in my hold as I frantically looked around. Then I saw him.

It was as if everything moved in slow motion. He looked like he was ready for war. The white beater he wore hung tightly around his bulletproof-covered torso.

I watched as he had his gun aimed right at Haden. Just as he started to pull the trigger, Tony slammed right into him, knocking the gun out of his hand.

My heart continued to pound loudly in my chest. Haden was so busy fighting one of Maxim's men, he had never even seen him coming. It was pure chaos, everyone was fighting and shooting including Nonna, Papa Russo, and Mama Carolyn.

"Ella?" My head snapped in my mom's direction as she tried to sit up. I quickly rushed over to her and gently pushed her back down.

"It's okay Mom, don't try to move too much."