Chapter 17

Victor woke up to Robin looking wide-eyed at him.

"I think someone is outside the tent," Robin said, clutching his arm in a death grip.

Victor was groggy from sleep, he had dragged Robin inside the tent last night, restrained him in his embrace, and fallen asleep. It had been the best sleep of his life, with the smell of his mate surrounding him. If Robin hadn't wiggled on his crotch he would have fallen asleep sooner but the boy had tortured him for a whole hour before finally surrendering and going to sleep.

Victor became alert when he heard the rustling too. He sat up and leaned to the opening of the tent.

"No! Don't!" Robin whispered, pulling him back. "What if it's one of those?"

"What?" Victor asked.

"Neanderman. Those monstrous beings that eat humans."

Victor had no idea what Robin was talking about. He didn't know what kind of stories he had been told in the palace but Victor wasn't going to rectify him.

"I'll just take a peak."

"What if it sees you?" Robin whispered in panic.

"If it is whatever you say it is then he would eat us anyway. Better if I see what we are fighting against," Victor said before opening the tent to a slit and peeking outside. It was a wild horse, sniffing around the tent in curiosity. Victor should have eased Robin's fears but how could he lose such an opportunity to mess with him? He hid the satisfaction and turned to Robin.

"Shh..." Victor shushed, placing a finger on his lips. "It's that. Neanderthal man."

"Neanderman," Robin corrected, his voice shaky with fear. "Did it see you?"

Victor shook his head. He opened his arm and motioned Robin to hug him. "We should stay still."

Robin scurried in his arms and placed his head on his chest, stuck to his body like glue. Victor would have felt sorry for scaring him like this if he wasn't enjoying the feel of his soft body against his chest.

"What does it look like?" Robin asked.

"Ah..big teeth."

Robin gasped. "Why do you look so calm? I am freaking out right now."

"I can take him down," Victor said, puffing his chest.

"No, you can't. Don't even try. It will tear you apart."

"You underestimate my capabilities. I have fought against hundreds of men all at once."

"I don't want to take the risk," Robin mumbled, circling his hands around Victor's chest and squeezing him close

"Robin," Victor said, pulling his head up, "I will keep you safe. Always. You don't need to fear anything."

"Thank you," Robin said with so much conviction it twisted Victor's heart. He wanted to give his mate the world, and keeping him safe went without saying. Robin was his responsibility now. And he would make sure Robin never has to fear anything ever again.

Once the horse was gone from their campsite RObin and Victor got out of the tent.

They assembled their things and started their journey to Manu again. Robin was able to match Victor's pace this time.

They reached Dhasur's territory by the afternoon. They walked along the forest for a few more hours and reached Manu by evening. Manu had a great nightlife. It was basically the tourist capital of Dhasur. People from all over the world come to visit Manu, especially during the winter season. Ever since the war, the number of tourists had gone down but it did not take away the life of the small town.