Chapter 42

Robin imagined motherhood to be magical but didn't turn out as ideal. It had been more than seven months but it didn't feel that way for Robin. Time flew by without notice. Robin thought he would be back to his original self after that didn't turn out to be the case. He was just as clueless as the first day with much less patience. The sleepless nights didn't help his mood. Victor was turning out to be a far better parent than him. Who knew a manly Alpha like him would have such soft motherly instincts?

"What are you looking at?" Victor asked, sitting at the love seat, cradling their sleeping son.

"How are you so good at taking care of him?"

Victor chuckled. "Why are you so suprised? I took care of you, didn't I?" he said with a flirtatious wink.

Robin nodded. "I'm glad you are my mate. I feel useless as a mother."

Victor frowned. He stood up and walked up to him. "No matter how much I care for our baby, I can never take your place. You are his mother. You are the one he is always going to seek when he is in distress. So never call yourself useless, you are far from useless."

Robin couldn't help as tears trickled down his cheeks. He had been an emotional mess ever since the birth of his baby boy and perhaps that's why he felt distant from everyone. Victor included. Sex was out of the picture, even physical intimacy was lacking in their relationship. Robin couldn't fault Victor, Victor had been more than supportive, it was Robin who was having a hard time opening up to him again.

Robin was roaming the halls of his palace with his baby in his arms. He realized how different the palace looked. There weren't as many servants as there used to be. Even the air felt different. Light and soothing. His baby slept peacefully, sucking on his thumb.

"Do you want me to put him to bed?" one of his maids asked as she came from the opposite direction.

"No, I am fine," Robin said, clutching his boy and walking to the sleeping chamber. He slowly put him down on the cot, puckering his lips around the air, Robin smiled at his innocent face. He decided to go check on Victor while his attendant kept an eye on his baby.

He walked to the soldier's training area and saw a very shirtless Victor dueling with soldiers. Robin stood in his tracks, awestruck at his beauty. He was still the man he had fallen in love with. Strong, tall, and handsome while Robin felt like an ugly hog. Half of his hair had fallen off, his once radiant skin felt dry, his spirit dull. He loved his son, no doubt about that, he just wished he was more capable of being a perfect omega. Being a better partner. He had seen omegas bounce back to their old self a few weeks after birth then why was he still stuck in the newborn phase?

Robin stood at a distance admiring his perfect mate and wondering if he was good enough for him. He wondered what it would be like to touch those rippling muscles, have those hungry eyes on him again, have those rough hands caress him like they used to. Maybe Victor didn't find him as sexy anymore, and who would in his disheveled state?

He left the area before Victor could see how he was peeping on him from the shadows. When he came back to his room one of the soldiers informed Victor's family was there to see him. Robin tensed up. He wasn't ready to face Victor's family yet. They would be disappointed to see their king choose such a weak mate who hadn't gotten himself together even seven months after the birth. Robin went to the mirror and tried to fix his appearance. He wished he hadn't let off his lady maids. They knew how to make him look presentable. After struggling with his wayward hair for a few minutes Robin gave up. Maybe he should cut his hair short like Kyle's. Seeing no other option than to go before them just like he was, he asked his attendant to call them to his room. Rody and Caroline walked in first, followed by Arthur. Caroline dashed to his baby first, a wide smile on her face.