17. Shattered Glass

FINLEY

"Aw, that's just adorable! He loves numbers because his uncle loves them!"

"Yup," Eleanor responds with a smile at Jaya's thrilled face. "Weeks back, I showed him an old tape of little Fin counting he hasn't been the same ever since."

"Awww, that is just the cutest thing ever!" Jaya claps, staring at me with the look of someone who wants to squish a chubby animal to herself.

Cleaning up Cameron's high chair before scooping the crumbs of food off his T-shirt, I grunt noncommittally at the two women. They laugh at my grumpy response and start chattering once again.

Raising Cameron out of his chair, I set him down on his feet before raising the heavy chair and walking over to store it inside the walk-in pantry.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot the nickname he was given sophomore year: Mr. Calculator!"

I grimace at Jaya's shrill words as I enter the kitchen once more. The Hilltop Prep student body has a weird knack for giving individuals or friend groups the dumbest nicknames.

"Please, don't remind me of that. I'd rather forget the year I spent answering to that foolish name."

Not knowing what to do with myself at having Jaya so close yet so far since I can't touch her with my sister and nephew here, I head over to where Cameron plays with counting blocks on the living room carpet.

I sit next to him on the floor and open my palm in silent request, my lips tipping up when he gives me the wooden block with the number two on it.

Since I told him it was my favorite a couple of days after moving into the apartment, he's made it a point to show me he remembers.

"Thank you, bud." I close my hand around the block, not looking up to my left in case Jaya's eyes are on me.

I don't want to do something stupid. It's already bad enough that the coffee table where I laid her open yesterday taunts me from where it sits a couple of feet away from me.

"You never let up that you hated the nickname, though. Come to think about it, you were very nice. Extremely nice, actually."

Until I fucked her in a not-so-nice way and the mask came off.

Shrugging, I explain, "Let's just say, being nice had a . . . purpose, for lack of a better word."

I apperently can't stay without looking at her for too long because my eyes are on her once again as she inclines her head at my revelation.

"Interesting," is all she says about it. Then she stands up and walks toward where Cameron and I sit on the floor and drops down by us.

Cameron offers her a block, the one with the number three-his favorite number-and she accepts it with such authentic cheer you would think she just won the lottery.

I narrow my eyes at a proud Cameron and offer the very block in my hand to a surprised Jaya, who accepts the second gift with a beautiful chuckle.

She doesn't notice, but I swear Cameron narrows his eyes at me before going back to his precious numbers.

Smirking to herself as she looks over the two wooden toys, she tells me, "You know, I was excited to have you as our valedictorian. I was practically waiting the whole four years for it. But then you left, so . . ."

"So at graduation you had to suffer through thirty minutes of David Newman recounting the hardship of his life in the dangerous suburbs of Texas?" I joke dryly.

Pointing at me, she nods while holding back a grin. "Exactly. I had to attempt not to claw my eyes and ears out at his sad display of privilege. At least you would have made a less pompous speech."