22. Prince Charmless

FINLEY

I lock the door quietly behind me, my ears attuned to the sound of her voice as it carries down the hallway. Taking off my shoes, I realize Jaya's talking on the phone.

"Yes, of course. Devlin was just telling me about his new art teacher." A pause, then a contained giggle that is so unlike her deep, melodic chuckles. "Yes, I'm eating well. Lots of veggies."

I walk closer down the hallway like a stalker in my own home. For some reason, I have this need to listen to the conversation. Due to Jaya's subdued behavior, I can guess that her mom is the individual on the other side of the line.

The memory of the first and only time I met her mother causes a frustrating restlessness to invade my body. I crack my neck and wish to do the same to my fingers but the bags I hold make it difficult for me to do so.

"I promise my heart is fine, mom. It's been fine for years now," Jaya states in a soft voice with only a hint of the frustration she feels at her mom's pestering being heard.

Her heart is fine? What does that even mean?

As the question swirls around my brain, Jaya listens silently to her mother. I wish the lady was on speakerphone so I could also hear her and witness firsthand whatever bullshit she might throw Jaya's way.

"He hasn't made contact since sophomore year, mom," Jaya grits slowly, her feathers clearly ruffled. "Just because we're both in New York doesn't mean he can suddenly be a father to me."

I walk closer to my room, glad that I left that door open an inch when I went out to the store. The last time I listened to Jaya on the phone with someone, things didn't end well. Perhaps today would be different.

"Mom, you know I would never do that to dad. In every way that counts, he is my dad. I know that. You don't have to worry."

I don't have the full context on the subject Jaya's discussing with her mother, but it's quite easy to deduce that two different men are the basis of the talk. One that hasn't made contact since sophomore year, and another one that is much more present and thus is the man she calls her father.

Interesting. So Derek Patterson isn't her biological father.

I haven't done any major background checks on Jaya and her family simply because the prospect of finding out myself is too sweet to pass up, but since I've discovered that her dad works for a subsidiary of Barton Enterprises in Hilltop, Texas, I've memorized his name, date of birth, height, and previous employers.

It seems that when something has to do with Jaya, I'm incapable of being rational.

The discovery was a purely accidental one that occurred over the summer when I helped with the financial overhaul of Barton Enterprises, and I came across Derek Patterson's information among the many other employees' details.

It wasn't much of a shock that he would work for one of Barton's subsidiaries given the company's reach in Hilltop, but I'd still be a bit surprised by the coincidence.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm actually studying right now." Little liar. "Yes, I should probably go."

More silence, probably her mom saying goodbye, and I silently walk back down the hall toward the front door. Opening it back up, I shut it, making sure it's loud enough for her to hear in the room.

I make my way down the hallway just as Jaya is bidding her mother goodbye and quickly hanging up the phone.

Opening up the door, I'm greeted with the gorgeous sight of her on my bed, sitting up with her back against the headboard, a tentative smile on her lips. My entire body hums with the desire to just be next to her, to breathe her in, and just bask in everything she is.