Chapter thirty-one

Adam

I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the message that I got on my phone. There was no way this was actually happening. This was just some weirdly realistic dream that people always talked about.

I was scared to touch my phone after the message I got. I wanted to see the message again to confirm that this wasn't a dream but I also don't want to be confronted with the reality of this whole situation.

Kayla thought I was a Catfish.

I couldn't resist the urge to not look at the message again. I grabbed my phone and read the message again.

To: Adam Dunter
From: Nev Schulman

Hey Adam,

We are currently filming an episode that is involved with your girlfriend, Kayla. We're hoping to arrange that you guys can finally meet. This is your only chance, so you better take it. I hope to hear back from you withing 48 hours and otherwhise Kayla will never seek contact with you again. Please text or call me back when you have decided what you wanted to do.

-Nev

I have seen the show a couple of times before. The people on that show were always the most manipulative and mean people that I have ever met.

I am not one of those people. Sure I may have lied about a few things here and there but nothing like the people in that show.

I just cant believe that Kayla would contact a television show just to see me.

If you thought about it like that then it was kind of flattering. I really liked Kayla and this showed me that she liked me too.

My hands were shaking with what I was going to do now. I ever so slowly clicked on the call button. I can not let Kayla slip away and that means that there was only one thing that I could do right now: Meet her.

"Hi, this is Nev from a television show called Catfish. Is this Adam that I am speaking to?" he asked me. there was a lot of noise happening on his side of the call. I guess that he was picking up a camera to film this phone call.

"Yes, this is Adam. I saw your text and I have decided that I want to meet Kayla in person" I told them in a steady voice. My hands were still shaking but I pressed them against my side, urging them to stop.

"That is amazing news and thank you for contacting us so quickly. What we will do is arrange a meeting and we will pay for all of your travel costs. My assistant will send you further information about your journey to Rivertown" he told me.

I felt a weight falling off my shoulders when I heard these words.

"That would be great" I told Nev.

"Okay, so we will see you in a couple of days!" Nev said. We exchanged a few goodbyes and then we hung up the phone.

My heart was beating so fast, my hands were sweaty and I was started to get a headache. But despite all of this, I have never felt better.

I grabbed the bag that I have packed for going to Rivertown. Catfish is going to pay my flight to Kayla so we can meet each other.

I didn't know how long I was going to stay in Rivertown so I just packed some clothes for a few days. I was looking forward to seeing a country that was vastly different than where I lived.

Kayla has told me some stuff about how things are organized in Rivertown but now I was going to actually see it for myself.

The car that was parked outside my house was also arranged by Catfish. I cant imagine how much money they are spending on just getting me to go to Rivertown.

They must make a lot of money with their television show to pay this all back.

While the chauffeur was driving me to the airport, I looked outside of the window. My thoughts were running like mad.

How is the meeting between me and Kayla going to go? Is it going to be awkward? Does she already feel the tension and the anticipation thrumming through her body?

I guess I will find out soon enough.

When I was at the airport I had no idea what I was supposed to do. A flight assistant has explained the whole process of flying to me in detail after I was standing there for a few moments in the hall just looking lost.

I was giddy with excitement. Flying has always been one of my dreams and it was something that I didn't see myself ever doing.

The nerves were starting to get the better of me. I felt myself spacing out. Time was flying in a way that I have never experienced before.

The hotel where I stayed in Rivertown was nice enough. I had a room and a bathroom for myself. I also had a TV which I could use. I made full use of all the accommodations that the hotel was offering me. I had an amazing dinner before falling into this soft bed that I could sleep in for days.

I could not fall asleep however. I was just to excited to meet Kayla tomorrow.

I just hope that she will not be disappointed.