CHAPTER 2

A FEW MONTHS EARLIER...

CASSANDRA

I must be an idiot. 

I didn't know what kind of level of stupidity was this, watching the man you love wed the woman he loves was not something you should witness. It felt like my heart ripped apart watching them exchange vows in an intimate ceremony on the private beach owned by the Spiridakous.

Dad forbade me to come to their wedding telling me that I would only get hurt if I attended the wedding of the man I love. But being the good friend that I was, I decided to attend despite my Dad's disapproval. So here I was, standing among the few friends and family who attended their second wedding and it felt like I was inflicting self-wound in my heart.

It was getting hard to breathe by the moment watching the love shown in Loukas' eyes that was only reserved for the woman in front of him at the end of the aisle. I always knew that I didn't stand a chance when it came to Sapphire St. Clair. She is the love of Loukas' whole existence. For a moment, when they divorced two years ago, I thought that would be my chance with Loukas—that he would finally notice me as a woman and not just a little girl who always tagged along with her father's business meetings with him.

I should have known that his eyes were always fixed on his American ex-wife. Ever since Sapphire St. Clair began working here in Greece for the new branch of their company even a blind person would notice that he was still smitten with his ex.

I knew from the moment I met his ex-wife I didn't stand a chance with her. She was an accomplished, confident woman that I only aspire to be. Because until now I was still living in my father's shadow. I was known only as Spiro Vitalis' daughter and nothing more. The heiress who has it all. But that was far from the truth.

Because I love a man with all of my heart and he couldn't be mine since he belonged to someone else a long time ago.

I clapped and cheered along with the rest of the guests as the wedding officiate announced them as husband and wife. It felt like I'd been stabbed in the chest when I watched them share a kiss. As I said, I was genuinely happy for them even if I was still in pain. But I was already in the process of moving on. I just hope that it will not take long.

I almost didn't stay for the wedding reception but at the insistence of the bride and groom, I decided to stay for their special occasion. When nightfall came, the party was in full blast. There was dancing and unlimited food but I only stayed at the makeshift bar trying to drown my broken heart with alcoholic beverages.

I didn't have a high tolerance for alcohol which explained that only a few mojitos already made my head spin. I gladly welcome my state of drunkenness because it made me forget the ache in my heart at the moment.

For Cassie's broken heart, I mocked in a silent salute before taking the mojito glass in front of me in a single swig. I winced as the white rum burned my throat.

"You will regret that in the morning."

I turned my head to the side as I focused my blurry vision on the man leaning his back casually on the bar countertop surveying the progressing party on the beach area behind my back. "I'm sorry. Do I know you?"

"Hmm. I don't think so." Even with my hazy brain, I think I saw him smirk in my direction but then again, I might be just mistaken.

"Then, if you don't mind. Leave me alone!" I shook my head and gestured with the bartender for another glass of mojito. By now, I was starting to get used to that drink and I was enjoying it, unlike the first glass I had earlier.

My normal self wouldn't be so rude to another person regardless of the circumstances. My Dad always taught me to treat everyone with kindness. But I think I would need to apologize to my Dad when I see him since I didn't want to be kind today. I would like to take a break from being a good daughter even for one day and let me nurse my heartbreak.