SPECIAL CHAPTER 1

A FEW YEARS AGO...

CALIX

"...are you coming for your grandmother's birthday, Calix?"

"I don't know, mom." I sighed deeply and rolled off the bed. The last thing I wanted when I woke up this morning was to get a phone call from my mother asking me to come home for a family celebration.

"What do you mean, you don't know?!" My mother demanded on the other line, making me keep my phone away from my ear with her angry tone. "This is your grandmother's birthday. Do you think your absence would go unnoticed? You've been away from the family for over a year now. Don't you think it's time for you to come home?"

I rolled my eyes. I moved away from the bed when I saw the woman next to me start to stir. I needed to send her away once she woke up. I want to make sure that she didn't overstay her welcome. I didn't usually like to share my breakfast with a mere stranger.

I moved further until I stood next to my bedroom window overlooking the city of Monte Carlo. I cringed when I remembered that my mother was still on the phone. "I can hear you, Mom. There's no need to shout."

"Then come back to Greece for your grandmother's birthday," she demanded with a stern voice. "The family is facing a dire scandal because of your cousin's wife."

I frowned and that news piqued my interest. "Why? What happened?"

"Didn't you hear? His American wife finally left him for good. She didn't even last a year before divorcing your poor cousin."

Somehow, I felt sorry for Loukas. I attended their wedding last year and my cousin appeared to be very much in love with that American heiress. Oh, well, I should have known that there was not a thing as love. It was just an illusion that people believed.

"Don't worry about Loukas. I'm sure he'll get over with her soon enough. I'm sure running the company will keep him busy." I said confidently.

"That's another thing," my mother inserted. "Why don't you just help in running the company instead of doing a menial job? Help Loukas run the company. Your grandparents fear that because of his divorce, it will affect his work ethic greatly."

I shut my eyes and sighed deeply. "Mom, don't start with me. You know that I don't like sitting in an office all day--"

I abruptly stopped talking when dainty arms wrapped around my waist and I felt a naked woman standing behind me as she hugged me from behind. "Mom, I have to go. I'll talk to you soon."

"Calix! Wait--"

I didn't listen to her and disconnected the phone call. I removed the arms that wrapped around my waist and turned around to face her.

"Why did you leave the bed?" She purred, batting her lashes at me seductively. "Come. Let's go back to bed."

I looked at her unapologetically. I eyed her naked body and wondered why I didn't feel excited anymore. I wondered what I saw in her last night that made me decide to take her home with me.

It must probably be because I am intoxicated, that's all.

"I think it's time for you to go, Alyna," I informed her relentlessly.

"Eliza," the change in her in an instant. Her eyes snapped with annoyance right now as she glared at me. "My name is Eliza, you bastard. All this time you didn't even know my name?!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I felt that I was about to have a headache because of Alyna-- Eliza or whatever the hell her name was. "Look. We had fun last night but that was it--" I stopped talking when her palm came into contact with the cheek.