CHAPTER 31

CALIX

"...Cassie!"

My head automatically turned around to look in the direction where that male voice came from even before I even had the chance to stop myself. I immediately averted my gaze and focused on my coffee when I realized what I was doing.

I grimaced. It had been two years, three months, and thirteen days and yet every time I heard that name I couldn't help but hope that it was finally her.

"You still miss her?"

I threw a warning glare at my sister, Dionne. "Don't start with me if you know what's good for you."

She gave me a wounded look. I knew that I must sound a little harsh but the last thing I wanted was to talk about her. Since she left two years ago, I refused to talk or know about her whereabouts. 

"Do you want a slice of cake? I'll get one for you." I didn't wait for her reply as I stood in my seat and got a slice of cake on the counter for my sister.

I was about to order when the man before me accidentally bumped into me on his way out. "Oh, sorry!"

I happened to glance down at the Iced Americano in his hand. Cass's favorite drink. "It's okay."

He was wearing a black baseball that was covering almost half of his face so it was hard to see his face. He passed by me and made his way to the secluded part of the coffee shop.

I ordered a slice of cake for Dionne before making my way back to our table. That guy's, drink bothered me because it reminded me of someone.

I took a deep breath, reminding myself that I promised not to think about her ever again. I am no longer interested in her. She had no place in my heart and my life anymore. Instead, I focused my attention back on my sister.  "What brings you here, by the way?" I asked while placing the cake slice in front of her.

She surprised me yesterday when she told me that she was in town and I agreed to meet her for lunch today. It had been a while since I saw my sister since I left Greece two years ago. I distanced myself from my family.

She pouted at me. "Well, my husband and I were supposed to watch a ballet performance tonight but then he fell sick when we arrived yesterday. Now I don't have someone with me to go to the theater." She smiled hopefully at me. "I am hoping that you can come with me."

"No." I immediately turned down her invitation.

She made a face of pure disappointment. "Why not? It would be a shame for the extra ticket to go to waste. They are a bit pricey, after all."

I sipped my coffee. "Find someone else to come with you. I am not interested in such a gathering. Besides, I'm busy."

Dionne let out a frustrated sound. "Why can't you accompany your little sister to this ballet recital? It's been a while since we bonded, you know."

"I'm busy," I repeated my earlier reason why I couldn't accompany her when in truth this kind of spectacle only reminded me of someone I'd rather forget.

"Busy with what?" My sister snapped at me. "Dating that model, is it? What's her name again? Gisele Patitz?"

It was my turn to glare at her. "Where the hell did you get that?"

She rolled her eyes at me. "International celebrity magazines do reach Greece, you know. Is she the reason why you decided to stay in New York after Cassie left?"

I glowered at her that a normal person would probably shrink with fear. "Shut up, Dionne. You don't know anything."

"I do, brother. I do," she said angrily. "I know that she is your half-sister. Spiro is your biological father. Mama confessed the truth to me. That is why she left, isn't it? You and she are blood-related. I also understand why you distance yourself from the family. I am not naïve you as you thought."