CHAPTER 40

CASSANDRA

I walked inside the restaurant with my mind still blank from the confession Calix made. My heart was pounding so loud and I felt that everyone at the restaurant could hear it and then I saw Dan waving at me while he was sitting at the table near the glass window.

I waved and smiled back. Damn, that man! How could he play dirty like this? I should be focusing on my friend rather than his unexpected admission of love.

For now, I would put him out of my head and I would deal with the sly man later.

"Did you wait long?" I asked apologetically while sitting across from him.

A knowing grin appeared on his handsome face. "Not really. On the contrary, I did enjoy some little scene outside moments ago," seeing the confusion on my face he added. "You know, a little flirting inside the car between a girl and a guy."

For a moment, I didn't get what he meant. I frowned at him and he gave me a knowing look. When my not functioning brain finally worked again I could feel that my cheeks were heating up. "You're joking!"

He propped up his elbow on the table while his chin was resting in his hand. He gave me this kind of look that says it all. "Sometimes, there are some perks when one is early on a scheduled appointment. You get to see things that are so delightful to see on the front row."

I shifted in my seat. I should have expected that he would not miss the opportunity to roast me with this. I stared at him dryly. "Are you done teasing me, Mr. Takaaki?"

The smile on his face spread even more. "I am not teasing you, Cassie, my dear. I am just telling you what I have seen earlier before you arrive."

I made a face while the waiter approached our table with the menu. I immediately accept the menu to avoid eye contact with my merciless friend. Dan waited for me until I placed my order before saying his. He even ordered a bottle of wine.

He cleared his throat once the waiter left. "So, you are back with him?"

I was silent for a moment. I was not even sure what was current status was. "We're not siblings, after all."

"I gather that much," Dan commented, his eyes were delightful. "For one thing, you two don't look like each other. Also, after seeing him strut his way into your apartment with on towel around his waist. Yeah, I already suspect that."

Now that he reminded me of that scene earlier, I could feel that my cheeks were a deep shade of red. Oh, how nice of him to remind me of that little scene Calix made back in my apartment.

"Imagine my shock of a lifetime when I barged into your apartment knowing that you were all alone and only to see your zealous ex-boyfriend was also there. Now I added another reason to his already long list of why he hates me."

I couldn't help but laugh despite my embarrassment. "I apologize for shocking you like that."

"How envious," he said wistfully. "How I wish I could also get some action in the bedroom like you."

I nearly spit out the water I had been drinking. "What the heck?! Dan Takaaki! Don't say something like that when someone is drinking."

"What?" He asked innocently while there was a mischievous smile playing on his face. "I am just being honest here."

I wiped my mouth with the linen napkin on my side. "If you want so badly to get some action in the bedroom. Why don't you start dating again? I'm sure there are more than a few ladies who will jump at the chance to date the famous Dan Takaaki."

He sighed deeply as if my suggestion was so troublesome for him. "You know I am not looking for a relationship right now."

I rolled my eyes at him. "I know that you are not. What I am saying is, date casually. Hook up with girls who take your interest."