CHAPTER 35

CASSANDRA

I stared at him with utter disbelief. I couldn't believe that I had been hearing such nonsense from him.

As soon as the song ended I felt him alone. I didn't care if people began to stare at us curiously. With me, at my sudden departure after our dance, and to Calix who was left there staring at my wake.

I regretted that dance, not only it make me have a conversation with Calix it also made my heart very upset as I was reminded that I still feel the same for my half-brother.

"You're crying again," Dan remarked sadly, offering me his handkerchief. I tried very hard not to cry and started making a scene at Loukas and Sapphire's anniversary celebration but it was so hard to control. "This is the second time you cried after seeing him. This is also your second meeting after two years."

I wiped my tears discreetly using his handkerchief. "It still feels like everything just happened yesterday. I thought I would be fine seeing him again after a few years. I guess I was wrong."

Dan looked over my shoulder for a brief moment before focusing his attention back on me. "Take several steady deep breaths, Cassie. The hosts of the party are approaching us."

I cursed under my breath, blinking away my tears. Did they notice that I had been crying after my dance with Calix?

"Cassie," Sapphire's voice tried to get my attention.

I slowly turned around making sure that there were no traces of tears in my eyes. I saw the somber expression on Sapphire and Loukas' faces. "Yes?"

Sapphire looked worriedly at Loukas as if asking for assistance.

Loukas cleared his throat. "I hate to break this bad news to you this evening but we received a phone call that your father is rushed to the hospital. I know that you are estranged from your father but as his business partner I thought you should know--"

My hand flew to my mouth to hide my shock. "Oh, my God! What happened to him? Is he okay?"

Loukas sighed deeply. "I know I am not in the position to inform you about his condition but I hope Spiro will understand. He was diagnosed with leukemia last month and the cancer is progressing aggressively."

My heart broke at the news. I knew that I cut off ties with my father since I learned about this mess involving me and Calix. And until now I still haven't found it in my heart to forgive him for cheating with Calix's mother.

But even if I was still angry with him, he was still my father and I didn't wish for him to be ill like this.

"Do you want to see your father?" Loukas asked quietly. "I can arrange for your transportation tonight if you want."

"What the hell is going on here?"

We all looked at the newcomer. It was Calix with his date on his arm. My heart felt like it had been stabbed repeatedly seeing that beautiful model's arm wrapped around Calix's arm.

"I asked what the hell is going on here?" Calix demanded once again when no one seemed to answer him. He looked furious for no reason. "Why are you all gathering here?"

"We are just talking to Cassie about her father." Loukas supplied calmly clearly unbothered by his cousin's enraged behavior.

"What about him?"

I glared at him discreetly. He was not even trying to hide his disdain for our father. But he was paying me no mind since his attention was purely fixed on his cousin.

"He is rushed to the hospital and I am asking Cassie if she wants to see her father. Sapphire and I can provide her transportation." Loukas explained to his exasperating cousin.