CHAPTER 37

CASSANDRA

"I can't return to Japan yet," I informed Dan one morning when we decided to have breakfast with him in town.

Several days had passed since Loukas and Sapphire's wedding anniversary and since then I had been stuck here in Greece against my wish.

So many things had happened that night, from learning about my father's illness, reluctantly undergoing siblings with Calix, and dealing with the aftermath of our unexpected kiss before that fateful night ended. All in all, there was so much going on happening in my life that I could barely keep up.

"You may return to Japan without me. I'm sorry that our trip didn't turn out how I expected it to be." I informed him apologetically.

A wide smile appeared on his handsome face. "Oh, don't worry about me. On the contrary, I don't have better things to do back at home so I decided I might as well stay here with you."

For a moment, my heart warmed at the thought. He was a friend that I could count on but then, my eyes narrowed in his direction. "You did not choose to stay because you are after some gossip, aren't you?"

The corner of his mouth quipped with a mischievous smile. "Of course not."

I threw a disapproving look at him because I didn't trust the smile on his face at the moment. "I don't believe you."

He roared with laughter. "Fine. I admit I can't resist. Hey, it's not every day I get to witness some drama from you. Besides, as I said, I am free at the moment. I might as well explore Greece while I am here." He gave me a side-eye look. "If not for that murderous ex of yours. I might as well stay in your apartment so I didn't have to book a hotel and save money but I don't want to die here in Greece."

I shook my head in disbelief. I should have expected it from him. I mean, of course, who could resist some hot tea? "I admire your honesty, Takaaki. But you are always welcome to stay with me. I have a spare bedroom in my apartment."

He grinned at me shamelessly while eating his authentic Greek breakfast. "Really? That's good to know but as I said, I don't want to die yet. I am too young to be murdered by a jealous ex. By the by, any update?"

I sighed deeply. "Still the same. Dad is still in the intensive care."

"Is he conscious? Have you talked to him yet?"

I shook my head. "Not yet. He wakes up from time to time but he is mostly unconscious most of the day. I have been visiting him constantly but I haven't had the chance to talk to him."

"Do you want to talk to him?"

I was silent for a moment, weighing on how to answer him. I met his gaze. "Honestly? I don't know. Yes, it was unfortunate that he became ill but that doesn't mean that I could easily forget what he did to Mom when she was still alive."

Dan gave me a sad smile. I was grateful that he wasn't forcing me to forgive Dad just because he was critically ill. Forgiveness takes time and you cannot force someone to give it to the person who hurt them. Just like me, until now it still pains me whenever I remember the betrayal of Dad and Calix's mom with their spouses.

"What about Mr. Jealousy?" Dan asked, dragging me out of my reverie.

I shot him an alert look. "What about him?"

My good friend grinned at me devilishly. "Any update about the status of your relationship with your ex?"

I looked away from his knowing gaze and I felt my cheeks warming up. I reluctantly recalled the kiss we shared many nights ago. "Still the same. Nothing had changed," I lied smoothly.