CHAPTER 19

CALIX

"Are you just going to drink yourself into oblivion or you are going to tell me what's going on?"

"Shut up," I eyed my good friend, Love, with a menacing glare.

She gave me an amused look and laughed while sipping her booze. "Man, what happened to you? If I remember correctly you were bragging to me the other day that you are blissfully happy because you finally have the girl you always wanted. What went wrong?"

I groaned and banged my forehead on the bar counter as she ruthlessly reminded me how optimistic I was at that time. Now here I was, drinking in the middle of the day because I was upset and angry. 

I just got back from the interview with Cass.

It was a disaster. My jealousy got the best of me seeing her with Loukas. I never expected that my cousin would be here in New York too. I thought that he would be as far away from my Cass after we left him in Greece.

I also got irritated that he knew my lover's birthday and I did not. It didn't suit me well it felt like I'd been hit in my gut seeing Loukas give her birthday gift right in front of my very eyes. I should be the one giving her gifts, not my cousin, fuck it!

In addition, I could feel that she was starting to get cold towards me refusing to sleep with me anymore stating that she was always 'busy'. It was, as if, she was already pushing me away. I was scared that she was starting to get tired of our setup and I was helpless to do anything about it. Once again, fate was not on my side.

"What? Are you just going to ignore me here after you ask me to meet you? You do know that you are wasting my time, right?"

I scowled in her direction darkly. "I ask you to drink with me in silence. I don't need to hear your snarky comment."

Love clicked her tongue while looking at me exuberantly. "Is that so? And here I am, about to give you possible insights on the reason for your dilemma."

I gave her a sharp look. "Oh, yeah?"

She smirked in my direction. "Tell me, when did this start?"

"What do you mean?"

She rolled her eyes while giving me her full attention. "This problem with your woman. When did it start? Is it the time you are about to introduce me to her? If I remember correctly you sounded so happy at that time."

I grimaced recalling that blissful breakfast before everything went down to spiral. "Yes, that must be it."

She grinned mischievously. She propped her elbow on the bar counter while her knuckles were under her chin. "I think she got jealous because  you mentioned another woman to her."

I sat up straight on my chair and stared at her unblinking and then I shook my head regretfully. "Nah...that's impossible."

"Think about it."

I shook my head once again while taking a swig of my drink. I laughed bitterly. How I wish that would be true, but this was Cass we were talking about. She might desire my body, yes, but I hardly doubt she desires to have my heart as well.

I witnessed firsthand how her eyes lit up when Loukas gave her that damned gift earlier. It was always like that whenever my perfect cousin was around. In her eyes, everything else faded away except Loukas.

Even if, I am around...

Loukas' gift weighed heavily on my pocket. I knew it was a dick move to steal it from her but I couldn't stomach seeing Cass wearing something that came from the man she once love with all of her heart. I was forced to watch from the sidelines how she chased him for years.