CHAPTER 34

CASSANDRA

It had been two weeks since our trip to New York and it wasn't as pleasant as I hoped it was going to be.

My unexpected encounter with Calix brought so many emotions that I thought I had long buried. Seeing him again and the way he treated me with a cold shoulder hurt me so badly.

Well, I think I deserved his coldness after my sudden departure before ending everything properly between us. I chose to escape the problem and I couldn't blame him if he was mad at my actions.

But I had hoped that after two years and there was a chance that our paths crossed again we could be finally civilized with one another. I guessed that was only wishful thinking.

As I was trying to get back to my normal life here in Japan, I got an unexpected DM on my social media from Sapphire. I was eager to read her message since I hadn't heard anything from her in a while.

It turned out she and Loukas were going to celebrate their wedding anniversary this weekend in Greece and they wanted me to come.

I bit my bottom lip when Sapphire caught me online and wanted to connect via video call. I have no choice but to answer.

"Hey," I said as I adjusted my phone to my face level and I saw Sapphire on my phone screen.

"Good to see you, Cassie!" my old friend was grinning ear-to-ear. "How are you?"

"Good. How about you? How's your little one?" I asked jovially.

"Faith is doing well," she replied. "Listen, did you read about my DM?"

"Yes," I answered reluctantly.

She was smiling at me through the screen of my phone. "Loukas and I will be very happy if you can come to the party. I also would like you to meet our daughter Faith."

"This party is going to be this weekend, right?" I asked. Somehow, I couldn't say yes right away since I was not sure attending would be a good idea.

"Yes," Sapphire answered eagerly. "A weekend party at the island. It's not a huge party our families and closest friends are invited."

I knew it wasn't a good idea. There was a high chance that I might see Calix there. Also, it would only open old wounds if I stepped back on the Spiridakou private island since that was the place where it all started.

"You're not going to turn me down, are you?" Sapphire inquired, probably seeing the hesitation on my face.

I have all the reasons in mind why I should turn her offer down. But I didn't have the heart to do that to her. From the moment I met her, she'd been anything but nice to me. Even if, she was well aware that I had been chasing Loukas she tried to befriend me and never showed a negative attitude toward me.

I let only a handful of people in my life and she and Dionne were part of it.

Even if it would probably hurt to see Calix and I want to be there to celebrate the milestone in their marriage. I smiled at her. "I would love to come but if it's not too much to ask. Can I bring plus one with me?"

"Sure! We won't mind, Cassie."

Everything about this spelled trouble but for the sake of my good friends, I would ignore all the warning bells. "See you this weekend, Sap."

When I disconnected the video call. I immediately contact Dan about our upcoming trip to Greece. I have helped him with his errands in Greece it was time for him to return the favor.

*****

The weekend had come and I was still feeling dreadful about the whole thing. Well, who could blame me? This was probably the first time I set foot in Greece after two years. I never thought that I would be back in my homeland again.