CHAPTER 43

CASSANDRA 

After Calix met with his mom it was time I met my father. I told my fiancé that he didn't have to accompany me knowing how he felt for my father but he insisted that he would go along with me.

Once we arrived at the hospital, I met with my Dad's doctor first who gave us a warning not to stress the patient since he just came out of the intensive care unit. He informed us about the current status of his health. He also mentioned that my father is refusing the treatment for his illness and it would mean a lot if we could convince him otherwise.

I nodded keeping in mind the doctor's order while Calix remained with a passive expression on his face.

My heart was pounding so hard as we walked in the hallways leading to the private room of my father.

I knocked on the door before twisting the doorknob and entering the room. The first thing I saw was my Dad lying on the bed with machines attached to his body to monitor his health.

He was gazing outside his hospital window but when he heard the door he looked in our direction and then recognition hit his eyes.

My eyes began to water, in the two years that I have been away his health deteriorated so much. He was now frail and thin very different from the father I used to know.

I slowly moved further inside the room watching the tears begin to form in the corner of his eyes. I managed to smile in his direction. "Hello, Dad. How are you?"

"Cassie," he drawled my name, trying to reach my hand, and then hesitated last minute.

I put my hand in his waiting hand and sat on the chair next to his hospital bed. I glanced back to see Calix only to see that he was leaning against the wall with his hand tucked in the middle, a stance that tells me that he wasn't comfortable being here but decided to support me just as I did when he met his mom.

"I heard you are sick," I said conversationally. "I didn't know until Loukas informed me that you were rushed to the hospital. How are you?"

He smiled weakly in my direction, refusing to let go of my hands. "I'm fine now that I see my daughter again."

I looked back at Calix once again and I saw him looking at me intently. I smiled at him and he gave me a faint smile in return before facing back my father. "I want to inform you of some news," I showed him my engagement ring. "Calix proposed to me and I accept it."

Alarmed appeared in his eyes. He still probably thinks that Calix was his son.

"Before you say anything," I added hastily to dispel any further misunderstanding. "Calix is not my half-brother. There was a mix-up at the lab. We had undergone sibling DNA test when I got back here just to be sure."

My father's eyes were still saucer-wide. "H-How did this happen?"

"There was another Spiridakou specimen sent to the lab." For the first time, Calix joined the conversation.

Dad looked in Calix's direction. "What do you mean?"

My fiancé let out an angry sigh. "It means that my sister, Dionne, is your daughter too."

I winced at the harsh way he delivered the news. I get where he was coming from. Everyone knew that he adored his father so much and it was believed it was from his father that he got his passion for photography. And for his Mom and my Dad to betray his father like that was blasphemous.

Shock registered on my father's face and it began to show on the machine attached to his body how he was taken aback by the news. The machines started beeping crazy and a nurse rushed to him to check his vital.