CHAPTER 16

CASSANDRA

A light knock sounded on my office. I looked up from my computer screen only to find the owner of the gallery peeking through the door with a huge smile on his face. "I am not interrupting you, am I?"

I sat up straight on my chair and returned the smile. "Of course not, Mr. Braizen. Please come in."

I watched him close the door behind him and walked even further inside my small office. I've been back to work after my impromptu trip to Greece. My boss was kind enough to let me have this unscheduled trip back home even if it was just a few months since I'd been hired into this job.

Mr. Braizen sat on the chair across my table with a pleasant smile still fixed on his face. He cleared his throat as he looked at me expectantly. "So, how's your trip back home? Was it pleasant?"

I gave a self-mocking smile recalling my blissful but stressful time back in Greece. It had been a rollercoaster ride as far as Calix Spiridakou was concerned. He also went home to check on me in case I had forgotten our deal and started remembering my one-sided love for his cousin. Sometimes, I think that man didn't have faith in me when it comes to Loukas. Even if, I have been saying plenty of times now that I didn't feel the same way about Loukas just like in the past Calix was still distrustful about it.

"...Cassie?"

I forced myself to focus my attention on the present time as I noticed that my boss was waiting for my reply. "Oh, yes, it's fine," I said dismissively, slightly feeling embarrassed that I was caught woolgathering. I searched for something in my bag as I remembered that I bought him a souvenir for him. "For you, Mr. Braizen."

"Oh, thanks," it seemed that he didn't expect to receive such a small gift from me. "May I open it now? If you don't mind."

"Of course."

His eyes lit with excitement as he opened the small box. He took out the fridge magnet made of stone with the head of Ares wearing a war helmet. He looked at the fridge magnet in his hand and then back at me confusedly.

"You like it?" I asked excitedly. Well, I also have a souvenir from my trip to Greece one I had to wear whenever I went and it was a blatant reminder of my naughty nights with a man I didn't have any relationship with. I have to wear a thick concealer to hide the purplish mark on my neck. "That's Ares, the god of war. To be honest, my friend helped me choose that gift for you. I hope you like it."

"Ah, yes, of course, thank you, Cassie." He said placing it back in the small box. "It is rather—err, unexpected kind of gift. But I like it. Thank you."

"Really?" I said brilliantly. "At first, I didn't believe him but he told me that you would like Ares' head for your fridge magnet since you own an art gallery."

Mr. Braizen's brows drew together while looking at me. "Him? Whom are you talking about? Is this the friend who helped you buy this magnet? A guy friend?"

"Ah...well, yes," I moistened my lower lip as I answered reluctantly while mentally cursing myself for the slip. How careless I was for casually informing him that I have a guy friend thankfully I didn't mention his name or else my secret relationship with Calix would be put in jeopardy.

My boss chuckled cynically. "Now I understand why he suggests the god of war's head as your souvenir gift for your boss. I think he wants to convey a message."

"Huh? What do you mean, Mr. Braizen?"

"Mr. Braizen is so formal, Cassie. I told you that you could call me Sebastian or Seb. There's no need to be so formal around here. I want us all to be friends around here and create a healthy and positive environment in the art gallery."