CHAPTER 17

CASSANDRA

"Really?!" My eyes light up delightedly. I didn't expect to hear such good news from him. I was over the moon this morning for several reasons.

First, I was sharing breakfast with Calix because he overslept last night and decided to stay for breakfast, this was probably the first time this happened since he usually leaves before dawn and I was beyond happy that he was here this morning.

Second, I didn't know what changed his mind but he already agreed to do exhibits with our art gallery after some persuasion from me last night. Albeit, it took all of my energy and gave him probably my performance of a lifetime since he was wicked enough to inform me that if managed to seduce him, he might say yes to my proposition.

And lastly, this all happened days before my birthday so I was so ecstatic.

I saw Calix roll his eyes seeing my reaction. "I didn't know why it makes you so happy that I finally decided to do an exhibit with your gallery."

"Of course, I am happy because you can finally showcase your talent to the public through the exhibit," I replied, taking a bite of the sumptuous breakfast he made for us. I envied him since he was so good at everything he did.

He snorted, sipping his coffee while his blue eyes were focused on me. "I didn't do that so people could see my works. I did that because of you."

"Me?" My eyes went wide pointing at myself while staring at his deep blue eyes. "Why me?"

He allowed himself to smile slightly. "Because I think that will mean a lot to you as a curator if you featured my photography in the gallery where you work." But then his eyes went hard as his gaze was still locked with me. "But I need to make it clear that any of my photographs are not for sale at any price. Are we clear?"

I nodded in agreement. I knew that photography was only his hobby but he had a talent for it and his works were sought-after by wealthy art collectors too bad he didn't do this for a living. But then again, he didn't need to earn money, to begin with. His family was wealthy enough that he didn't have to work for the rest of his life if he wanted to.

We were enjoying our breakfast and talking about our plans for tonight when his phone suddenly sounded for an incoming call. I stopped talking to allow him to answer the phone call and just continued eating my French toast.

There was a bright smile on his face when he saw the caller ID on the screen. "Hello, Love?"

What the... I shot him a curious glance but he wasn't even looking at me. He was busy talking to the other person on the line. Normally, I would just mind my business and would not listen to another person's phone conversation since eavesdropping wasn't my thing but for some reason, I found myself intently listening to his phone call with this person he fondly calls 'love'.

"I'm in New York right now," I heard him say on the other line even chuckling a bit. "Oh? Are you in town too? That's good to hear. Yeah, sure let's meet up."

I found myself scowling at the French toast on my plate. So he was planning to meet this person, huh? I guessed our plan for tonight would be canceled because of the sudden arrival of this certain individual.

But who was this fellow, by the way? Why he hasn't mentioned this person before? Is she his girlfriend? She must be since he was calling her 'love'. Besides, didn't Dionne mention a few days ago that she suspects that her brother is in love?

I frowned to myself when I noticed that I was gripping my utensils so tightly that my knuckles almost went white and it seemed that Calix had completely forgotten about me as he was laughing and chatting merrily with the person on the other line.