CHAPTER 24

CALIX

The following morning, I had one mission on my mind--that was to see Cass's father before he went back to Greece. I was well aware that he was a busy man and I was grateful that he agreed to meet me in his hotel room before his scheduled flight.

Things didn't go as well as I expected. I thought our announcement about our relationship would be accepted by both of our families with open arms but I guess I was just optimistic about it.

We got the same reaction both from my mother and Cass's father. They were both against our relationship much to my surprise. But I intended to talk to Spiro Vitalis and make him understand that my intention towards his daughter was honorable.

I knew I must not be the type of guy he wanted for his only child given my not-so-pleasant past but I assured him that his daughter was the only woman I ever loved. No one would ever love Cass more than me I was sure of that.

My heart lurched thinking of that beautiful goddess I left in my apartment this morning. I have to kiss away her anxiety about my scheduled meeting with her father. I assured her that everything would be okay if our parents would only understand that we were serious with each other.

I didn't know if I was being hopeful here but I hope for the sake of my sanity that they would finally approve of our relationship.

With every courage, I could gather inside me. I knocked at his hotel door and his bodyguard opened it for him.

I cleared my throat. "I am here to see, Mr. Vitalis."

"He's waiting for you inside, sir." The bulky man stepped aside so I could enter the hotel room. I was fully aware of how nervous I was and the way my heart was pounding so loudly in my chest.

I waited for Spiro in the living room while his bodyguard informed him about my arrival inside his bedroom.

It didn't take long before he emerged from his bedroom fresh from his shower. I stood from my seat but he motioned me to sit back as he fixed the cuff sleeves.

"Good to see you again, Calix." He greeted me with a smile.

I wished I could return that welcoming smile on my face but I was too nervous to do that. I cleared my throat and went straight to business. "I will not beat around the bush, sir. You must already know why I met you so early today."

"Ah, you mean your relationship with my daughter?"

"Yes, sir," I answered clutching my hands together. I knew he wasn't pleased when he learned that I was dating his daughter last night."

"Then, you must know what I am against about it." He said in a toneless voice while looking at me firmly.

My heart sank into the pit of my stomach. I should have known about this but it was still disheartening to hear it personally. "May I know the reason why are you against the idea that I am dating your daughter?"

Spiro broke eye contact and then walked in the direction of his floor-to-ceiling glass window and stared outside. "You are a nice young man, Calix, don't get me wrong, but I will be the one who will choose Cassie's husband."

"And I don't fit in your criteria?" I asked with sadness creeping through my whole being. It felt like they skinned me alive with a dull knife.

His back was still on me while he was still looking outside his hotel window. "Let's just say that I want Cassie's husband to be useful to me in my business."

I found his answer difficult to swallow. "If that's the criteria you are looking for Cass's potential husband then I am willing to work at our family hotel's business, sir. I can learn my way to the business world."