CHAPTER 36

CASSANDRA

"Are you out of your mind?!" I asked indecorously while we were walking out of the hospital. I tried to keep up with his long strides so I could demand what was wrong with him. "What are you thinking?"

He paid me no attention until we were outside the hospital building. Dad was still unconscious and the doctor advised us to come back tomorrow. He smiled at me pleasantly as if everything was fine. "What do you mean?"

"You know, the DNA testing again." I reminded him harshly. "Do you want us to be subjected to another round of unnecessary pain when the results come back?"

"That's the thing," he said calmly. The complete opposite of my outburst. "I always question the first DNA result. I always wondered if it had been accurate."

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I felt a growing headache just talking with him. "Seriously? Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "How can I? By the time I came back to my senses and thought rationally you weren't anywhere to be found."

It felt like that had been a direct hit on me. Yes, it was true that I ran away but at that time I thought it was for the best. I couldn't bear to see him and only to be reminded that we couldn't be together because we were blood-related.

I let out an exasperated breath. "What if I don't want to undergo siblings' DNA test? What will you do?"

He shrugged again but this time his blue eyes were fixed on me. "Your choice but either way, I will continue with my plan."

I frowned at him. "What plan?"

This time the smile on his face became more devilish. I couldn't help but shiver in my spine. "Trust me you don't want to know."

My eyes narrowed in his direction. "I think I do and I don't trust that smile on your face."

The mischievous smile on his face grew even wider. "Well, it's your decision not to agree with the DNA test that I want but as I said, either way, I am not going to let you go this time around."

I felt my face go in a deep shade of red when I heard his admission. I stared at him with utter disbelief. "Are you crazy? That's downright impossible."

"Why?" He questioned with a smile. "Because you believe that we are half-siblings?"

"Yes!"

"What if I told you that I don't care?" He countered with a wicked smile on his mouth. "I still want you, anyway?"

I swore my heart did a cartwheel on my chest. I began to shake my head violently, reminding myself that I shouldn't feel elated at all. "No. No. No, please don't kid around, Calix. It's not funny."

He arched an eyebrow at me. "You don't believe me?"

"Don't be absurd," I took a deep breath, feeling wary. "Maybe it's time for us to call a night. It has been a long day for all of us. Do you think Loukas' yacht was still on the dock? I want to go back to the island."

He surprised me when he grabbed my wrist lightning-fast. "No. You are not coming back to the island and meeting that guy again."

"Are you crazy?!" I asked in astonishment, trying to shake off his grip but he wouldn't let me. "What do you not meet him again? Dan is my friend."

"I don't like that guy."

"I don't care!" I replied passionately. "Dan is a good guy. I don't understand your prejudice against him when you haven't seen him on more than two occasions."