Love, Marcos

‘’Sino nga yung kasama mo kanina?!’’ Leni asked him angrily.

‘’Mahal, sinabi ko na nga sayo- wala yun! A-ate ko lang yun…’’ He lied. For the past few months, Bongbong had been seeing random women as a way to ease his stress and the loneliness he felt. He would usually go to Leni for comfort but ever since she started working for the government he felt that she had no time for him anymore. 

‘’Anong ate? Si Imee nga ang nag drive sa akin sa hotel kung saan nakita ko na niloloko mo lang pala ako!’’ Leni cried, ‘’How could you do this to me? Sobrang stress na nga ako sa trabaho tapos na dagdagan mo pa? Hindi mo ba naisip na pag nawala ka, wala na akong matatakbohan pag may problema ako?’’ 

Bongbong just stayed silent, unable to say anything. He didn’t even consider that Leni would be all alone if he wasn’t there. She had no family left, so he was the only one who supported her, the only person who could make her happy, and the only person who brought her pain. 

It felt like forever until Leni spoke again, ‘’Gaano katagal mo na akong niloloko?’’ She asked. 

‘’S-six months…’’ Bongbong stuttered as tears fell out of his eyes, he felt extremely guilty.

‘’Ano?! Six months na pala?’’ Leni hated herself for not finding out sooner. She felt so stupid to have stayed in a relationship with a cheater whom, she thought she would be with for the rest of her life- but unfortunately, that wouldn’t work out. She couldn’t even stand looking at his face anymore. 

‘’Leni- I’m sorry-’’ Bongbong cried, trying to hug her but she immediately pushed him away.

Leni sighed, and gathered up the courage to say her next words.
‘’Ayoko na.’’ She decided.

Bongbong’s eyes widened. ‘’A-anong ibig sabihin-’’ 

‘’Ayoko na sayo.’’ She said coldly, and turned away from him. She observed her surroundings, trying to find anything she owned in the apartment. ‘’Kukunin ko lang yung mga gamit ko at aalis na ako. Hindi mo na akong kailangan sundan.’’ 

He grabbed her wrist but she immediately took his hand off of her. ‘’Bong, just give up.’’ She said, trying to hide her sadness.

‘’Leni, pwede ba natin pag usapan to?’’ He continued to follow her around their apartment, but didn’t receive a response. Before he knew it, she was already done packing up and headed straight for the door. Without looking at him or saying a word, she walked out. The sound of the loud door as she angrily shut it was the only thing he heard.

It had been 5 years since that happened, and now the two of them just focused on their careers which they loved- since serving the Filipino people was both an honor and a responsibility. Although they both found it challenging to move on from each other, they tried to convince themselves that they were happy. 

From time to time, Bongbong thought about her and what they had together as lovers- and that it was his fault that the love they once had was gone. It was like the thought of her was literally tattooed on his mind, Bongbong just couldn’t forget Leni. For the past 5 years he tried to get in contact with her, but always failed to. When he requested for a meeting he would be declined, when he asked Leni’s staff for her number, he would always get the same response- ‘’Sorry po sir, sabi po ni maam hindi pwedeng ilabas ang mga ganong impormasyon.’’ 

Bongbong sighed as he left the building, looking around to see where he parked his car when a bus suddenly stopped in front of him. It was the same bus that Leni took everyday to come home to him from work. 

Subukan ko lang…He shrugged.

He waited for some passengers to come down before he got on, looking for a seat. Then he saw the woman that he had been trying to get in contact with for so many years. He couldn’t believe it.