Sulat (1)

December 19th, 1980s

The United States - Bongbong Marcos...

The almost-18-year-old boy sat in his classroom, paying attention to the lesson that his teacher was giving to the students. He fidgeted with the things on his desk from time to time, but made sure that he knew what was going on around him. 

Today, at their very next class, the students were having their presentations on their dream job. Bongbong Marcos saw this as an opportunity to campaign, politically, as early as possible. Sure, he was barely an adult, but he did have plans to run for the government in the future. There's nothing wrong with dreaming, right?

Bongbong, despite his exhaustion, had some motivation to go on with school instead of leaving to go home because of the presentation. He wouldn't miss it- he couldn't. Anything that had to do with his ambition of becoming president would definitely keep him from falling asleep.

In the middle of the class, there was a sudden knock on the door which caused all heads to turn to it. Their teacher, Mrs. Johnson, rolled her eyes out of annoyance, since her lesson was interrupted. But she still forced a smile on her face as she walked towards the door, turning the knob to see who was on the other side. 

Bongbong wasn't usually interested in whoever was arriving at times like these, but noticing that his classmates seemed so concerned, he decided to look as well. 

Oh no.

He thought.

"Hello, can I help you?"  Mrs. Johnson asked a tall man who was dressed in a black suit. He responded, voice loud and clear, "Could I take Bongbong Marcos out of your class? There's an emergency, and he is needed somewhere." 

Everyone looked at Bongbong, who was confused why he was being taken out of class when the school day was barely over- his parents wouldn't allow it. And he was upset since if he left early, he would miss his next class.

"Why? Is he going to be gone for the whole day?"  She questioned.

The man nodded his head, "Yes- and I cannot tell you madam, I apologize. It's family matters."

Mrs. Johnson sighed, "Alright, then. I guess I can't say no." She looked at Bongbong and called him over, "Ferdinand! Come over here, somebody needs you." 

Bongbong immediately grabbed all of his things and went up to her. "Yes maam?"

"You need to leave the class to get to somewhere- I have no idea on what this is all about, so don't ask me. Ask him." Mrs. Johnson said and pointed to the man.

Bongbong nodded, and left.

As soon as they got to the limousine, Bongong asked, "Anong kailangan sa akin?"

The man, Jose, shut the door and sat beside him, "Yung papa mo, pinapapunta ka doon. Kunin ka raw namin sa eskwela."

"Ah, okay...Bakit kaya?" Bongbong wondered out loud. Though he wasn't literally asking anyone a question, Jose still gave him a response.

The older man leaned closer to him to tell Bongbong something, as if somebody else could hear a secret that he was telling. "To be honest, mukhang tungkol sa anak ni Mr. Araneta."

The name Araneta gave Bongbong a feeling of nervousness when it was mentioned. 

He understood what Jose was trying to tell him.