19

Maya POV

"It is a beautiful evening." I watched as the sunset beyond the picturesque mountains. The large French windows in the twin's dorm had a perfect view of the Quidditch field drenched in the hues of the setting sun. 

I could feel George's chest brush against my Ravenclaw robes, and I leaned my back against his torso. He smelled like fresh meadows mixed with a hint of cinnamon. He wrapped his arms around me in a loose hug as we admired the sunset in silence. It was perfect, just him and me. 

"Maya" He whispered into my ear. When his warm breath touched the nape of my neck a shiver ran down my spine, and butterflies formed in my stomach. My eyelids shut as I melted in his embrace.

"During the Care of Magical Creatures class last week, I experienced what it would feel like to lose you. I .. I ... can't describe it in words. Please don't ever put me through that again. It is the worse feeling in the world." I felt his grip tighten around my waist as he buried his face in my hair. I simply nodded.

I muggle tune played in my head...

The sun finally disappeared, and darkness swallowed the Quidditch pitch. A knock on the door caused him to step away. I winced at the loss of contact.

"Hey babe," Katie Bell skipped into the dorm and planted a wet kiss on George's lips. I tore my gaze away from the couple and packed my belongings strewn across the dorm. Time had been my best medicine. I accepted the fact that George Weasley was never mine. He saw me as his best friend and nothing more. I had no one other than myself to blame for reading too much into it. George and Katie did not shy away from public display of affection. As much as it sucked to watch them run their hands all over each other, as days turned into weeks the pain subsided. Acceptance had finally sunk in.

"Hi Maya, didn't see you there." Katie shot me her warmest smile. The dimples showed up on her cheeks and her blonde hair fell perfectly over her shoulders. Sometime over the past week, I had developed a girl crush on her.

"Hey, Katie. I was just heading out, you two have a great evening." I almost stumbled over a chair as I dumped my belongings into my school bag.

"Please stay," George whispered. A glint of sadness reflected in his hazel eyes. As much as my heart begged me to stay my brain wanted me out as soon as possible. As always, my brain won.

"I got Quidditch practice early in the morning. I will see you around." I slammed the dorm door shut and ran out of the Gryffindor common room before I could change my mind.

Deep in thoughts, I wandered aimlessly through the castle.

Why did George look so sad? Maybe he feels sad for me because I am a lonely loser. Or maybe he misses having his best friend around. How did our lives get so complicated? It was so much easier when I just had Fred to compete with for George's time. He seems genuinely happy with Katie, and why shouldn't he be, she is beautiful inside out. I should be happy for him. I am happy for him. I need a distraction... I should grab the latest fantastic beasts' book from the library! Perfect! I am going to die a virgin! I will kiss the first boy who crosses my path.

"Well, well, well look who finally showed up for patrolling." Pucey casually twirled his wand between his fingers.

I should concentrate on my O.W.L.S

Pucey had a scratch across his face.

"What happened to your face? Jeez, that looks deep." I was concerned for him.

"Err... I crashed into the whomping willow during Quidditch practice."

"Don't waste your time in Pucey, you are going down," I said walking away from him.

"As I said before Bagnold, I would love to go down for you." Pucey jogged to keep up with me.

"You disgust me, Pucey."

"You want me, Bagnold."

I guffawed.