The Trap

"You're not going to her funeral?" Iida asked as we slowly made our way back to my agency since our patrol was officially over.

"I am, I just won't be down there with the rest of you." I responded with a sad smile. "I'll come down towards the end when we can say our final goodbyes, but I want to watch from a higher perspective."

"Do you really think that the U.A. Killer will be there? If they are, how will you figure out who it is? On top of all the civilians, there are hundreds of people that it could be. How are you supposed to narrow it down?" He asked in disbelief. I wasn't sure how to capture the U.A. Killer, honestly. We didn't have much to go on, but I had to start somewhere.

"I have no clue." I responded honestly. "If they plan on killing all of us within ten and a half months, I have to start somewhere, and I have to do it soon."

"Ten and a half months?" Iida questioned with confusion as we rounded the corner to the street Might Tower was on.

"When they left that message for Kacchan and me, I think that's what it meant. I think it's either that or the amount of time since we messed something up so badly that somebody wants to kill us. We won't know until the number goes up or down next month."

"If it's a countdown, what for though?" Iida asked as he brought his hand up to his chin, thinking. "What is so significant about that time frame?" He asked, mainly to himself. "There's no big events around that time or new construction, so I don't understand."

"Me either." I lied. If I knew it would help them, I would tell them I was sick, and the number meant until I died. However, it wasn't going to do anything, so I didn't need to share. "Can you keep an eye out for me on the ground while we're at the funeral tomorrow?" I asked as we approached the agency. Kacchan and Todoroki were sitting on the steps, waiting for us. Their patrol block was closer than ours, so they beat us back by at least ten minutes.

"I can, but I'm not entirely sure what I need to be looking out for." He responded with a sad smile.

"Anybody that looks or is acting suspiciously." I shrugged. "Don't tell anybody that Kacchan and I are hiding, just tell them we aren't there."

"Not to sound like Uraraka, but you've been spending a lot of time with him," Iida commented as he looked back to the sidewalk.

"I live with him." I scoffed. "My old roommate moved out on me." I scowled. As much as I loved having Kacchan around, it was easier when it was Iida. Iida didn't bug me and tried to be by my side 24/7 like Kacchan. I know he's only doing it because the U.A. Killer is running around, but it doesn't make it any easier.

"So I've heard." He let out a quiet laugh, clearly amused. "I'm not trying to set you up like she was, but I think it's nice to pretend things are normal, even if only for a little while. None of us know how long we have to live, and I think we should be enjoying it a little more."

"We have eleven months, haven't you heard?" I asked him in a sarcastic tone. I have eleven months, but hopefully, everyone else has years. Iida shook his head back and forth with a smile on his face. It's been hard to joke like this with anybody. It's been hard to live a normal life when everyone you loved kept dying.

"Thanks for bringing my boyfriend back in one piece," Iida shouted as we approached Kacchan and Todoroki.

"Don't thank me just yet," Kacchan responded with a groan as the two stood up slowly. We didn't notice it from far away, but their outfits were torn in a few places, and they had patches of dry blood scattered around their bodies.

"What happened?" Iida questioned as he quickly walked to his boyfriend's side, examining him for any serious injuries.

"A kid lost control of his quirk, but we got it under control," Todoroki responded with a sad smile. "I'm fine."