The Death of Me

⚠️⚠️SMUT⚠️⚠️

"We've been cross-referencing people from the party."

"Anyone else stand out, or looks suspicious?" I asked, pouring myself a cup of coffee. It was eight in the morning, and I needed it to help me function. The time change wasn't that big, but it was enough to throw me off.

"I've started an investigation on Manual." Hatari responded. "He was there early in the day for about half an hour, then left. He came back to help set up, then spent about thirty minutes in the tech room."

"I don't know why he would have a grudge against us, though." I said, scratching the back of my neck. I was getting frustrated. Everything was a dead end, and nothing was adding up.

"Kaminari, Uraraka, and Iida are working on that now upstairs."

"You back down in your office?" I ask, grabbing my cup of coffee and walking out to the back patio. Kacchan was still sleeping, and I was trying not to wake him.

"Yeah, I needed the bigger computer space for all the camera footage." He replied. "I'll keep reviewing it and seeing what I can find."

"Thank you. Call me later with an update." I sat down on the steps, digging my toes in the warm sand.

"I'll call you when I go back upstairs so you can talk to everyone. Are you having fun on your vacation?" He asked.

"It's only been one night. I haven't done anything other than eat, watch movies, and sleep." I laughed. "I miss you guys, though. It's weird to be anywhere other than home."

"This could be your last chance for a nice vacation like this, you know." Hatari mumbled. He rarely mentioned anything about me being sick, so I always paid attention when he did. "You should enjoy it, boss. You deserve it, you know?"

"Yeah, I will." I smiled softly, taking another drink of my coffee. I planned on working ninety percent of the time and enjoying the other ten percent with Kacchan. I still want to work while I'm here, but maybe I can be a little more lenient with myself.

"Before I let you go, I have a favor to ask." He sounded nervous. I hated when he sounded nervous, it was never good.

"Name it." Whatever he needed, he could have. He's done so much for me that I'll never be able to repay him for.

"Can you put me on the next block rotation?" He asked. My eyes widened. He's been working with me for five years, but he's never once asked to patrol or go on missions.

"I can, but why are you asking now? You haven't used your hero license since I hired you." He was a hero fresh out of school a year before I hired him. He had a pretty nasty mission that almost killed him. He decided then that the hero life wasn't for him. He still wanted to help people but preferred to be behind the scenes.

"I think I'm ready to give it another go. Besides, somebody needs to go with Kaminari since Shinso and Kirishima are both gone." He added.

"Thank you, Hatari." I whispered. He was like finding a needle in a haystack. To find someone who cares about your friends just because they're your friends is something pretty special.

"For what?" He asked with a laugh. "Doing my job?"

"Stepping up. Being there for me, helping me. Protecting my friends. For literally anything and everything you've done." I smiled.

"I got you through whatever, boss, you know that. You were the only person who would hire me after I retired early in life. You're the only person that cared." This felt like we were saying goodbye, and I wasn't ready for that. I would never be ready for that.